[USS Vanguard] The cause and the solution to all of life's problems.

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:52:04 +0100 (BST)

Lieutenant-Commander Kieran Darkwater, Temporal Affairs

  "Are you sure you want to be here?" The whispered question didn't carry to
the other occupants of the room, hanging quietly in the small gap between
Kieran and Ana's heads.

  "Shouldn't it be me asking you that?" he asked, after a moment's thought.

  "You'd think so, wouldn't you," she admitted, with a shrug. "It's your
hormone levels that are elevated, though. Indicators of stress, primarily."

  Leaning over her shoulder, Kieran stared at the screen of the padd she was
holding for a moment, realising it was in fact a disguised tricorder.

  "Set up to read pheremone levels," Ana explained with a slight blush.

  "That's how you did it, that's how you stayed clear of the Changeling for..."
he trailed off as she tensed, and he rested a hand on her shoulder, gently.
"I'm sorry."

  "It's... I don't like to think about it. I tried to get away from it, but it
follows me."

  "People like me follow you, you mean."

  "Not... You want to make sure your friend is safe. You brought me here to
make sure they weren't here. Most people want me to go where the Changelings
are."

  The doors hissed open again, accompanied by the sounds of a struggle of some
sorts, and both of them tensed ready to act.

  "Easy." Kieran offered, as he recognised Cynan's distinctive accent, and
relaxed as the latest guest sauntered in with his bottle. Silence descended for
a few moments, and Kieran eased himself away from the wall, slightly
disconcerted by Santos' overt emotional outburst.

  For all he'd spent his life criticising his step-sister for her Vulcan
manner, he still wasn't entirely comfortable with wearing his heart on his
sleeve. He self-consciously tugged his all-black uniform into line again as he
crossed the room.

  "You came all this way," he said, pulling out the chair next to Mandrake's,
"knew I'd be here, and you bought whisky instead of milk?"

vanguard.staff@xxxxxxxxx