[ncsc-moths] Re: Location

  • From: Harry Wilson <harrywilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:39:26 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I am in eastern Wake County in a transition area from Piedmont to Coastal Plain, elevation about 350 feet. My area is rural, though an adjoining farm will soon be divided into tracts for homes, I fear. Our home is on five+ acres that has a couple of patches of woods and a 1.3-acre pond behind our house. Each evening I turn on outside lights around the house and I set up a sheet at the edge of a wooded area near the pond, where I have two UV lights. Sometimes I paint sugar bait on a few trees at the edge of the wooded areas. We have several beds of flowering plants, mostly native species, that attract butterflies and moths. I usually check these areas hourly up to the time I turn in. I have left the UV lights on all night but I can't bring myself to do that just yet, because there are at least 12 Wood Ducks that come to the pond each morning (and to nesting boxes) and I would scare them away by walking to the sheet.

I'll have to try the ropes dipped in wine -- if I can bring myself to share the wine with the moths!

Harry