[ncsc-moths] Location

  • From: "Paul" <pandlscharf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:39:50 -0500

I live in Warren County, North Carolina in the Piedmont on Lake Gaston . The
Lake is huge and half of it is in Virginia. I'm probabably no more than 2-300
feet above Sea Level. As you can see from the photos I hang my sheet off the
lower deck and check it about every 20 minutes between 1800 and 2000 Hrs. I
leave the light on overnight and usually find some good stuff in the morning if
I can beat the Wrens and the Bald-faced Wasps to the sheet. On a good summer
night I'll have hundreds of moths on the sheet. Photo # 4 shows the basic bait
traps I use . I dip them in fermented wine with sugar and on a good night
there'll be 20-40 moths hanging on the ropes.I find the fermented wine makes
the moths a lot more docile and few fly away while I'm photographing them . In
fact a lot fall off the traps and just lay on the ground in a stupor. Paul