[ncpm] PRIDE in SHEFFIELD - the story so far

  • From: "Pride In Sheffield" <prideinsheffield@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:22:03 +0000

HERE IS THE PRIDE IN SHEFFIELD CAMPAIGN SO FAR. IT DOES NOT DETAIL
EVERYTHING THAT HAS TAKEN PLACE AROUND THE NCPM, ONLY THE EVENTS DIRECTLY
INVOLVING PRIDE IN SHEFFIELD ? READ, ENJOY AND PASS ON!!

PRIDE IN SHEFFIELD NCPM CAMPAIGN

Pride in Sheffield was set up after a growing group of musicians and artists
expressed deep concern and outrage at the continued silence and lack of
communication and public consultation regarding the future development of
the National Centre for Popular Music building.

To address this problem Pride in Sheffield was established as a working
group campaigning for open discussion, access to information and public
consultation on the future development of the National Centre for Popular
Music building as a public centre for cultural and creative activity.

NCPM CAMPAIGN HISTORY

Since it began the Pride in Sheffield campaign has progressed rapidly. We
have moved from the clandestine meetings whose existence was denied by the
local authorities to the challenging questions we have asked at high profile
public meetings, from our denied requests to represent ourselves to the
public recognition of our existence.

·       SOUND-OFF, August 28th 2002.
The NCPM was due to be discussed at Sound-Off following letters and news
reports in the local and national media, so when the meeting was cancelled
at the last minute the 50-60 musicians and artists in attendance were left
wondering what to do next - Pride in Sheffield was born.

·       FIRST PRIDE IN SHEFFIELD PUBLIC MEETING, September 4th 2002.
The first official gathering of Pride in Sheffield supporters was nearly
hi-jacked by free beer. By the end of the evening we had learnt two things ?
NOTHING is more attractive than free beer and between the NCPM and free beer
? the people of Sheffield wanted free beer more. Still, the campaign
continued?.

·       YORKSHIRE FORWARD AGM (open to the public), September 6th 2002.
Yorkshire Forward are the Regional Development Agency. They are also the
owners of the NCPM building. They can choose what to do with the building
next and it is their responsibility to do what is best for Sheffield and
South Yorkshire. So representatives from Pride in Sheffield attended the AGM
to ask the following question:

?Given the fact that the NCPM in Sheffield was created as a centre for music
using over £10m of public money, what future commitment does Yorkshire
Forward and its partners have to retain the purpose of the building for
musical and related activities, and if such a commitment is evident will
Yorkshire Forward publicly consult with the local musical and artistic
community of Sheffield to achieve this aim??
(This action was documented in the local press - Sheffield Star 9th
September and Sheffield Telegraph Friday 13th.)

Asking this question was critical. Although YF sidestepped the central issue
of public consultation their response was helpful because it raised the
public profile of the Pride in Sheffield campaign and ensured the
opportunity to meet with the right people and find out more.

·       CULTURAL INDUSTRIES QUARTER AGENCY BOARD MEETING, September 19th 2002
The CIQ Agency is responsible for regenerating the Cultural Industries
Quarter. One of their aims is to ?maximise the potential and impact of the
creative and digital industries in South Yorkshire through networking,
cluster development and economic inclusion.?
Pride in Sheffield understand ?networking? to include pro-active
consultation with the wider creative community, whose activities directly
contribute to the economic, social and cultural success of Sheffield?s
Cultural Industries Quarter.

As a result of a refused request from Pride in Sheffield to attend the CIQ
Agency Board meeting in person we wrote a formal letter to ask the CIQ
Agency Board the same question we asked Yorkshire Forward.

?Given the fact that the NCPM in Sheffield was created as a centre for music
using over £10m of public money, what future commitment does the CIQ Agency
and its partners have to retain the purpose of the building for musical and
related activities, and if such a commitment is evident will the CIQ Agency
publicly consult with the local musical and artistic community of Sheffield
to achieve this aim??

·       Release a position statement of proposal in the context of plans to
redevelop the NCPM as a ?creative content hub?
·       Host a public meeting on 17th October 2002 to discuss the redevelopment
of
the NCPM building.

·       CAMPAIGN MEETING, September 25th 2002
with JIM FARMERY ? YORKSHIRE FORWARD DIGITAL CLUSTERS MANAGER.
This meeting was a very useful information gathering exercise. What follows
is a summary of the information gathered both at this meeting and through
our own further research.

The Creative and Digital Industries Cluster is one of 5 ?cluster?
developments being supported by Yorkshire Forward. The CDI cluster strategy
proposes two integrated strategies, one on Culture, Creativity and
Multimedia (CCM) and the other on High Technology Services (HTS).
·       CCM focuses on the cultural and creative industries, the generation and
exploitation of intellectual property, the development and application of
technical, artistic and commercial skills, creative content production,
delivery and distribution.
·       HTS focuses on e-learning, data management, internet and
mobility/remote
access technologies.

The cluster strategy includes the development of three ?centres of
excellence? ?
·       A knowledge and learning institute
·       A design centre
·       A creative content hub

Yorkshire Forward and Objective One have sub-contracted a Glasgow
consultancy called New Media Partners to produce a feasibility study for the
development of a creative content hub. This study reached Yorkshire Forward
and Objective One this week. Pride in Sheffield has learnt that the study
has identified that both the buildings (the NCPM) and the people (the
creative community of Sheffield and South Yorkshire) required for the
successful development of a creative content hub already exist in the CIQ
and that such a development WILL BE RECOMMENDED.

·       SHEFFIELD TELEGRAPH INTERVIEW, September 27th 2002
With the campaign gathering pace it was only a matter of time before the
press heard about it! The chance to explain the story so far opened up
opportunities to share the campaign with the wider public ? and led to the
letter the following week.

·       SECOND PRIDE IN SHEFFIELD PUBLIC MEETING, September 30th 2002
This meeting gave us a chance to tell everyone how the campaign was
developing. By this time the October 17th public meeting had been confirmed
so the campaign was getting ready for that. With the information we had
gathered from Yorkshire Forward we had the basis of an idea - proposals for
the NCPM begun circulating and business planning was initiated ? things were
hotting up!

·       SHEFFIELD TELEGRAPH LETTER, October 4th 2002
A campaign letter made it to the Sheffield Telegraph Letters page ? here it
is in full:

Pride in Sheffield was set up after a group of musicians and artists
expressed deep concern at the continued silence and lack of public
consultation by the organisations responsible for the future development of
the National Centre for Popular Music.
The NCPM was a flagship project. But as we all know it spectacularly failed
as a visitor attraction. The building now lies largely empty and unused. Its
windows are whitewashed; the once shiny stainless steel exterior covered in
grime and its doors firmly shut to the general public.
The group established Pride in Sheffield to campaign for public consultation
on the future development of the National Centre for Popular Music. Pride in
Sheffield want to see the NCPM reopened as a public centre for cultural and
creative activities.
Since it began just over a month ago the Pride in Sheffield campaign has
progressed rapidly. We have moved from clandestine meetings whose existence
was denied by the local authorities to the challenging questions we have
asked at high profile public meetings, from our denied requests to represent
ourselves to the public recognition of our existence.
The first stage of the Pride in Sheffield campaign has successfully resulted
in the announcement of a public meeting to be held at the Showroom Cinema on
17th October 2002. This meeting will be hosted by the Cultural Industries
Quarter Agency, the organisation responsible for regenerating the Cultural
Industries Quarter.
The meeting will give the general public the opportunity to access
information and take part in discussions on the future redevelopment of the
National Centre for Popular Music as a public centre for cultural and
creative activity.
Pride in Sheffield has also learnt that Yorkshire Forward and Objective One
have commissioned a feasibility study that will recommend the redevelopment
of the NCPM as a ?creative content hub?.
However many questions about the NCPM remain unanswered. Who will own and
manage the NCPM? How much will it cost? Will the building ever be open to
the general public again? The Pride in Sheffield campaign will continue
until all the answers are found.

·       RADIO SHEFFIELD INTERVIEW, October 4th 2002
Despite being squeezed for time Radio Sheffield invited Pride in Sheffield
to the breakfast show. One short interview later and the whole of the city
had heard about us ? what a way to go!!

·       PHASE TWO ? CLEANING THE NCPM, October 16th 2002
With Phase One ? Public Meeting organised and confirmed it was time to move
onto Phase Two ? Cleaning the NCPM. Following some research Pride located
the company originally approached to clean the NCPM. With publicity for the
clean in place the company agreed to drop their quote from £7000 to £3000 ?
well within reach of a few fundraising events. Fundraising began with a
number of calls to organisations throughout the city, including the City
Council. Everyone we spoke to thought it was a great plan and gave us their
full support. All that was needed to get the NCPM cleaned for the first time
its life was permission from the building owners Yorkshire Forward. You
guessed it ? they said NO! It?s too expensive, timely and complicated they
said. Fair enough we said ? but the press loved it:

A BID to clean the grimy shell of the failed National Centre for Popular
Music has been given the brush off. Campaigners wanting to see the tarnished
stainless steel drums restored to their gleaming former self have failed to
persuade regeneration agency Yorkshire Forward to underwrite a clean up. The
group called Pride in Sheffield had lined up a £3,000 bargain contract with
local firm Stealth Access to restore the glitter to the building. But
spokesman Gareth Roberts said: "We thought cleaning the building was a good
way of demonstrating public support for a more positive future. We had hoped
to raise the cash through sponsorship and hoped Yorkshire Forward would
underwrite the sum, but they declined our offer." A Yorkshire Forward
spokeswoman said such projects were on hold while the future of the building
was determined. She added: "Negotiations are ongoing and we hope a decision
on the NCPM's future will be made a few weeks." The future of the failed
music centre has been a matter of speculation for months. It is believed
Sheffield Hallam University, which is planning to relocate its School of
Cultural Studies from Psalter Lane to the city centre, may wish to
incorporate the NCPM in its plans. Other speculation involves the possible
relocation of the Hallam Students Union from its current position between
Pond Street and Sheaf Street. A meeting to discuss the future of the School
of Cultural Studies is being held next week, confirmed Prof Diana Green,
Hallam's vice chancellor. Pride in Sheffield was established to campaign for
public consultation on the future development of the NCPM as a public centre
for cultural and creative activities. The campaign includes a public meeting
to be held at the Showroom Cinema tonight. Starting at 6.15pm, it will be
hosted by the Cultural Industries Quarter Agency, the organisation
responsible for regenerating the area. (Sheffield Star Oct 16th 2002)

·       THE PUBLIC MEETING, October 17th 2002

The public meeting was a very significant event. The community expressed its
desire to leave the failures of the NCPM in the past, to learn important
lessons from these failures and prepare for a more positive future for
cultural and creative activity in Sheffield. The meeting also gave many of
us an important opportunity to discover the consensus of feelings within the
communities of Sheffield, such as:

·       We were pleased to hear the public apology for the failure of the NCPM
as
a visitor attraction.
·       We seem to worry about the 'top down' approach taken by the
organisations
in the area and are wary of their intentions. This is due to a lack of
transparency and consultation by these organisations.
·       We now understand the importance of knowing and using the facts and not
listening to rumours and conspiracy theories. These can be very mis-leading.
·       We can see the sense in working together, with everyone, to make OUR
CITY
better.
·       We can see Pride in Sheffield is more than just the Pop Centre and want
it
to continue WHATEVER THE OUTCOME OF THE NCPM.
·       We all agree that the NCPM MUST be retained for public use and benefit.
·       Finally we all feel that it is important that there are ways each of us
can make a direct contribution to the campaign effort...

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT ? THE STORY SO FAR. TALK ABOUT IT and GET INVOLVED!

·       SO WHAT NEXT?

Next week is crunch week - Sheffield Hallam University have confirmed they
are meeting to discuss their potential aquisition of the NCPM. Pride in
Sheffield have a meeting arranged with Yorkshire Forward and Sheffield One
on Thursday.

WHATEVER THE OUTCOME OF NEXT WEEK ONE THING IS CLEAR - THE ARTISTIC
COMMUNITIES OF SHEFFIELD MUST COME TOGETHER TO STRENGTHEN THEIR ROLE IN THE
REGENERATION OF OUR CITY. IF WE DON'T DO IT OURSELVES SOMEONE ELSE WILL DO
IT FOR US.

CIRCULATE THIS STORY TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.
ENCOURAGE RESPONSE AND DISCUSSION.
PLEASE c.c. all EMAILS to <<prideinsheffield@xxxxxxxxxxx>>

D.I.Y. PRIDE...

Want to help PRIDE in four super-easy steps?...

ONE...
Post messages of support on the BBC Have Your Say website at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/have_your_say/ncpm.shtml

TWO...
Write a postcard and/or email with a message along the lines of:

"ONLY PRIDE WILL BRING MY POP CENTRE BACK. I SUPPORT THE FUTURE DEVELOPMENT
OF THE NCPM AS A PUBLIC CENTRE FOR CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ACTIVITIES - AND SO
SHOULD YOU!"

to EACH OF THESE INDIVIDUALS:

Jan Wilson, First Point, 1 Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2SH
jan.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alison Nimmo, Sheffield 1, 1st Floor, 1 St. James Row, Sheffield, S1 2EU
sheffield1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Diana Green, Sheffield Hallam University, Howard Street, Sheffield, S1 1WB
D.Green@xxxxxxxxx

Susan Johnson, Yorkshire Forward, Victoria House, Leeds, LS11 5AE
susan.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

THREE...
Play 'One in Ten' - send this email to 10 of your mates - go on - you know
it makes sense!!!

FOUR...
Email us your views, ideas, opinions at < ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >

CHANGING SHEFFIELD HAS NEVER BEEN SO MUCH FUN

HELPING US TO HELP YOU TO HELP OURSELVES

THANK YOU ALL,

LOVE AND PRIDE - GARETH ROBERTS, PRIDE in SHEFFIELD CAMPAIGN ORGANISER