[ncpm] Re: Public friends not public enemies

  • From: "Pride In Sheffield" <prideinsheffield@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lulivingstone@xxxxxxxxx, ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:20:07 +0000

Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your message. You highlight issues at the heart of Pride in
Sheffield. I only hope the individuals who read you heartfelt message see
the sense and clarity in what you have said. They have an unprecedented
opportunity to act in favour of the communities of Sheffield - and I say to
them "Seize it now before it is too late!"

We shall see what the future holds.

All the best - Gareth Roberts.

>From: Lucy Livingstone <lulivingstone@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: sheffield1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jan.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
>D.Green@xxxxxxxxx, susan.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>CC: prideinsheffield@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Public friends not public enemies
>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
>The closure and private sale of the NCPM is causing a lot of heart ache to
>a lot of people.  If you don't know who these people are, or don't recognse
>their concerns, then I'll try to explain:
>These people have a genuine desire to see the NCPM in the hands of the
>public.  It's not a war or a principle, it's a necessity within a city
>already suffering from divisions and inequality.
>Sheffield is one of the most divided cities in the country according to
>  "Sheffield and It's Electoral Wards- A Review of the Index of Multiple
>Deprivation" May 2001, published by the Sheffield Health Authority (and
>available in the Fulwood Health Library.)
>...more so than any other city in the country Sheffield has stark areas of
>contrast with residence living within the county's top 10 % of earners and
>at the other end of the scale, residents living within the bottom 5% of
>poverty levels within the country.  Quite a difference i'm sure you'll
>agree.  Needless to say those areas which have high levels of deprivation
>also have low levels of educational achievement and high levels of
>unemployment and ill health ( residents in the South of the city live on
>average 10 years longer than those in the North!)
>So what's that got to do with NCPM?  If you don't know I'll tell you.
>It's UNFAIR  that the city is divided into haves and have nots and selling
>the building to be used by the student furthers and strengthens that
>It's UNFAIR that the building was never effectively in public hands but was
>prey to a series of mismanagement misdemeanours where pride in ones self
>took presedence over pride in Sheffield
>And to add insult to injury if the building is sold it will nver never have
>the chance to be managed effectively by the community, to deliver projects
>and entertainment to the WHOLE OF SHEFFIELD regardless of your background.
>Have you seen the little flowers of hope growing in there already...the
>young people are starting to filter in from the remotess areas of
>town...kids who may or may not ever be a part of a University.   Do you
>think these kids will still want to use The Drum Centre if is Student
>Ville?  The Students of Sheffield have always been made to feel at home
>here, it's now time to make the children of Sheffield feel at home here
>too....perhaps this building could be for them and everyones future in
>Do you Yahoo!?
>Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos, & more

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!