[ncolug] Re: reasons to switch back to Ubuntu

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:33:42 -0500

larry wrote:

That was the package trying to pop up a config window underneath synaptic. Anyway, I installed it, on the command line, no difference, it's gone again. No difference. BTW, syslog is full of reports of a hung parallel port, except that this is a network printer...

larry wrote:

xprint was not installed. I added it just now, but then synaptic just hung on "installing software."

BTW, xprint is a package that ALL software should be making use of.
Currentl, most applications have to have two types of code, one to output in X syntax, and another to convert that to PostScript for printing. The task of getting those two outputs looking exactly alike is tremendous. Xprint solves all of that -- or at least streamlines it. Xprint is an X Windows server that outputs to PostScript and/or PCL devices instead of monitors. So any software that can output to your display's X server can connect to the Xprint X server and have the output show up on any PS/PCL capable printer. Very nice idea! I htink the Mozilla people are the only major project making use of it, but it is something we should see more use of.

Chuck