[ncolug] Re: reasons to switch back to Ubuntu

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 19:58:18 -0500

larry wrote:

In the cause of fairness, I will continue to post my journal of problems with Debian.
I still plan to switch back to Ubuntu at the next major release. I still can't print.

Ok, they are more alike than not.

sound not working
had to install a bunch of alsa stuff, then do module commands, then install gnome-audio
still didn't work until I got a new kernel

What was differnt between the two kernels? It'd appear that the new one had drivers that you need either built into the kernel or available as modules.

smbclient and smbfs not installed by default
   installed and configured

Is this one of the reasons you're switching back to Ubuntu? If so then I think you're basing your descisions on the wrong things... THere are thousands of packages and they are not all going to be installed "by default". THough you do have the ability to choose which packages you get at install time and you can always pick new packages anytime you want.

root terminal not working
   solved by changing command line from kdsu to gksu

I've never used either of these two. Do they open a terminal as root or do they give you the ability to run a single command as root?

printer works in some apps, not others, disappears and reappears
easy to print test pages, but most apps never make it
gedit - yes, Thunderbird and Mozilla, no
many tries at creating/deleting printer, gnome printer tool
is extremely buggy, no excuse - this stuff went away years ago
in other distros... tried CUPS interface in a browser, no
difference

Since it's Mozilla products that aren't printing, I'd assume that you have the xprint package installed and it's trying to handle printing. Other Distros and Apps seem to be not accepting the xprint mentality. Try removing xprint and then see if the Mozilla products print.
As per "this stuff went away years ago in other distros" comment, I think you need to remember that the various distros are using the same software. If the Gnome Printer Tool is buggy, then you need to submit a bug report to the Gnome people as well as the Debian folks.

Chuck