[ncolug] Re: for Apple fans

  • From: Jim Dolan <wolfson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 20:03:57 -0500

But, it all just works! We don't get hit by viruses! LOL, I've heard it all before from Apple fans. It is the joy of vertical integration, control everything so nothing gets caught. Why does Windows continue to work? Why the free Win 10 upgrade? They need to sell their software to people who have many choices for hardware. Why does Linux work so well, even on older hardware? They need to acknowledge that the hardware is still there. I am replying to this thread using a "vintage" Windows PC that originally ran XP when I bought it. It now runs Win 10. That is four major releases later, including one abortive attempt to get me to buy a touch-screen monitor (8.x).

Most Apple users I know, call the help desk for every hint of trouble. Apple is getting hit by viruses now that they have a market share worth aiming at. The stuff doesn't always work with all the platforms they are trying to penetrate. Considering they were started by a couple of hackers in a garage, it is amazing how hard they work to prevent hackers from doing upgrades on their own. Most people have to go back to the store if a battery dies.

Windows has it's own issues, of course. The most notable of them being the inability to clean up a system w/o a reload from scratch. Yes, after a couple decades using Windows, that is the BIG issue I have with it. Most of the rest, are transient things yet that one remains and continues to get worse. (I know there is a LOT of garbage in my registry - and know way to know how to safely clean it out.) At least they are trying to learn from Linux and keep hardware useful - instead of trying to fill landfills.

Oh well, Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2016 is a good one for all of you.

Jim D.

On 12/30/2015 4:41 PM, M. Knisely wrote:

I found it amusing how headphone manufacturers were getting around your quality in terms of weight test by just building in ballast.

Michael K.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Larry DiGioia <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

*Someone finally sues Apple for purposefully making older iPhones
run slower with latest iOS upgrades*

It’s one of the dirtiest secret in consumer electronics, but we
all know it’s true: As Apple updates iOS, it purposefully designs
the system to run poorly on older iPhones and other iOS devices so
that users will be forced to buy new devices. (By contrast, every
version of Windows since 2006’s Windows Vista runs faster and uses
fewer resources on the same hardware.) And now, someone is finally
suing them for this behavior. Chaim Lerman has fileda class action
lawsuit against Apple
<http://www.scribd.com/doc/294247024/IOS-9-Slows-iPhone-4S-Complaint>in
New York, alleging that the firm engages in “deceptive trade
practices and false advertising” by “significantly slowing down”
customers’ iPhones when they upgrade to the latest iOS version.
It’s about time someone called them on their BS.

-- "The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."
William James