[ncolug] Re: Need some help

  • From: <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:30:37 -0400

The VFS code has a way to emulate features that the underlying FS doesn't
support.

True, FAT32 does not support UIDs/GIDs but Linux *has* to have them.  So when
you mount a Fat32 FileSystem Linux *should* use the User's UID/GID so you can
access the files on the device.

Where this shows up is when I use RSync to synchronize files between my $HOME
and the Thumb Drive - I get a bunch of "Can't change GID error messages"
otherwise...

Chuck

---- "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes.. I realize this doesn't answer the question.... but why doest this
> matter in a FAT32 file system?  It has no idea what a UID or GID is.  Are
> you sure you're not just fighting a quirk with how ls displays groups on Fat
> file systems?
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:32 PM, <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Howdy folks!
> >
> > I've got a couple of thumb drives that I use to move data back-and-forth
> > between my Linux boxes and some Windows machines that I use at Work (NC
> > State) and school (OSU).  Naturally, I've formatted these guys w/ FAT32 file
> > systems.  No problem there.
> >
> > When I plug one into my Linux box it gets auto-mounted and things are good
> > to go, except...
> > The GID for all of the files and directories is "0" (ie. the root group...)
> >  The UID *is* getting set to my account's UID (1000 for me on this box) and
> > I'd like the same for the GID.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Some quick facts.
> > Debian/Ubuntu (and others?) don't use /etc/fstab for this stuff anymore -
> > it's all done with HAL, which is a good thing.  HAL leaves a file
> > (/mdeia/.hal-mtab) on the system and when the thumb drive is mounted the
> > file is text and shows the UID=1000 and the GID=0.
> >
> > Where, oh where, can I change the behavior of the GID setting for HAL?
> >
> > Chuck

> > the Subject field.

Subject field.