[ncolug] Need some help

  • From: <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:32:50 -0400

Howdy folks!

I've got a couple of thumb drives that I use to move data back-and-forth
between my Linux boxes and some Windows machines that I use at Work (NC State)
and school (OSU).  Naturally, I've formatted these guys w/ FAT32 file systems.
No problem there.

When I plug one into my Linux box it gets auto-mounted and things are good to
go, except...
The GID for all of the files and directories is "0" (ie. the root group...)
The UID *is* getting set to my account's UID (1000 for me on this box) and I'd
like the same for the GID.

Any ideas?

Some quick facts.
Debian/Ubuntu (and others?) don't use /etc/fstab for this stuff anymore - it's
all done with HAL, which is a good thing.  HAL leaves a file (/mdeia/.hal-mtab)
on the system and when the thumb drive is mounted the file is text and shows
the UID=1000 and the GID=0.

Where, oh where, can I change the behavior of the GID setting for HAL?

Chuck

Subject field.