[ncolug] Help with Canon Imagageclass LBP6230dw printer on Debian/Cups

  • From: Henry Keultjes <keultjesh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 21:29:19 -0400

On 09/21/2015 07:44 PM, Mike wrote:

On 09/21/2015 04:49 PM, Chuck wrote:
On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 10:13 -0400, Henry Keultjes wrote:
Mike worked on this untill he pulled all his hair out!

Last year I installed a Canon D420 and with the help of a Canon Linux
techy got it to work fine. Alicia wanted the copier function so she has
the D420 and I bought the 6230

It prints a test page. It has occasionally printed other things.

Now Canon says they have no Linux support.

Does someone have an Ubuntu system that we could try this on?

Henry Keultjes <keultjesh@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:keultjesh@xxxxxxxxx>>
Mansfield Ohio USA
Direct 419-525-1111

According to this page http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Canon/Canon-BJC-6200 it's not well supported, but you should be able to get something out of it. For my money it's HP or Brother for printing under Linux. I will not even begin to look at LexMark, and Canon has been tough in the past as well.

It's not a BJC, it's a laser. ImageClass 6230. Downloaded drivers from Cannon, installed, blah, blah. The problem is in conversion from ps to whatever propitiatory language this printer is using. Watching top I can see a job go to gs, then to c3pldrv, which then maxes out a CPU to 100%.

The D420 does print via samba to a Windows box and seems to be working...

Mike

So here is the bottom post - from now on?

Thanks for the comments but, like many of these blog posts, they seldom address the question I asked: Does someone have an Ubuntu system running that I could try this printer on? The suggestion of a VM might be valid to you techies but, unfortunately or fortunately, I don't know how to do that and I am not about to learn. That is not stubbornness but logic because I have always been a systems architect and learning how to program would mess that up.

Who is running Ubuntu, even if you are not willing to let me test the Canon?

I am ready to give up on that beast. Since I am getting a Win10 machine to run AutoDesk Inventor, I am sure it will do well on that machine although eventually I would want a machine with at least an 18 inch path.

Reading about Postscript and the original Apple printers that brought us the business printing revolution, those printers were all made by Canon!

Henry