[ncolug] Re: Help with Canon Imagageclass LBP6230dw printer on Debian/Cups

  • From: tech4u <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 18:28:45 -0400

I have a Brother Color laser 4040CN and had no trouble with Linux. I use Linux at multiple customer locations and have not run into any issues with printing other than an old Lexmark and an high end plotter. I use Ubuntu usually 14.04 some were 10.04 and 12.04.

Cory

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they
do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. -- Putt's Law

The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into
the impossible. -- Arthur C. Clarke

On 9/21/15 6:10 PM, M. Knisely wrote:

Even that can be a bit hit/miss. I've got a Brother Laser MCF-7360N Printer that is AWFUL to get printing under Linux.

Michael

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:54 PM, Rob Gibson <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:nosbig@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I agree with Chuck here... I have a Brother laser printer, and it
works quite well. HP printers have done well in the past.

Rob

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM Chuck <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 10:13 -0400, Henry Keultjes wrote:
Mike worked on this untill he pulled all his hair out!

Last year I installed a Canon D420 and with the help of a Canon Linux
techy got it to work fine. Alicia wanted the copier function so she has
the D420 and I bought the 6230

It prints a test page. It has occasionally printed other things.

Now Canon says they have no Linux support.

Does someone have an Ubuntu system that we could try this on?

Henry Keultjes <keultjesh@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:keultjesh@xxxxxxxxx>>
Mansfield Ohio USA
Direct419-525-1111 <tel:419-525-1111>

Subject field.

According to this page
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Canon/Canon-BJC-6200 it's
not well supported, but you should be able to get something
out of it. For my money it's HP or Brother for printing under
Linux. I will not even begin to look at LexMark, and Canon
has been tough in the past as well.