[nasional_list] [ppiindia] We Have a Lot to Learn From India

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:24:27 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=9&section=0&article=77577&d=10&m=2&y=2006&pix=community.jpg&category=Features

Friday, 10, February, 2006 (11, Muharram, 1427)

      We Have a Lot to Learn From India
      Lubna Hussain, lubna@xxxxxxxxxxxx

      "So, is there any topic you want us to stay away from?" inquired one of
the delegates during our first press briefing in Delhi.

      "No," replied our coordinator.

      We had just landed in India representing the first Saudi civic delegation
to visit this fascinating country, and although I was excited, I most
definitely had trepidations about what it would be like to be part of a "mixed"
group. I was nervous about being in such close proximity with people I didn't
know, especially Saudi men, who up until that point had appeared to be from
another planet altogether.

      "What about sensitive issues?" I probed further. "Is there any
restriction at all?"

      I thought about the long list that might follow starting with Kashmir and
ending with women driving. I wondered sardonically about how we would be
"advised" to refrain from topics that might be deemed "inappropriate". A sort
of cloaked attempt at the Saudi version of "freedom of speech". The response
was something that my cynical demeanor hadn't expected and I actually felt
embarrassed about having been so negative.

      "You are allowed to talk about any issue that you are asked about."

      "What do you mean "any issue"?" I asked unconvinced.

      "Like I said," he repeated slowly, "any issue."

      I stared at him in disbelief. Having been in the media for a while now, I
knew that there was no censorship as such, but surely there had to be some
self-restraint we were supposed to exercise?

      Sensing my incredulity and cognizant of my tendency to speak my mind, he
reiterated, "Please be open and free to state your opinion. The important thing
is to be honest and express your true feelings."

      "You mean we can say whatever we feel? Even about controversial stuff?" I
quizzed astonished that there seemed to be absolutely no catch. "Yes. Feel free
to discuss any issues. Just be honest in conveying your feelings. That's all
you are required to do."

      And believe it or not, that's exactly what we did for a whole week. I
think that we provided a reasonably balanced picture of the Kingdom devoid of
any embellishment or glorification and certainly without toeing any official
line. An honest upfront scenario of a country in transition that like anywhere
else in the world has its positives and negatives. And what's more, through the
involvement of my female colleagues and myself in this delegation we also
proved that our society has actively increased the participation of women not
only in the decision-making process but in the implementation of concomitant
solutions as well.

      Upon our arrival in Delhi one of my colleagues summed up the general mood
by saying, "It feels like being at home." The warmth and generosity of the
welcome that we received from the moment we set foot on Indian soil until the
time we left was beyond compare. India is one of the most amazing countries in
the world with a myriad of cultures, religions and traditions all woven into
the national fabric ensuring that in spite of its sprawling and diverse
population there is a place for everyone.

      India is a shining example of how a country can achieve success in the
modern world through a program of education and progress while maintaining its
principles and retaining its strong charismatic identity. I think that as
Saudis we have a lot to learn from that as we too advance in the international
arena as a proud and autonomous people who are not willing to surrender or
compromise what we represent in the face of globalization. It is essential for
us to realize that our agenda to modernize should not be confused with a desire
to Westernize.

      I know that when Saudis think about the prospect of visiting India they
often focus on the superficial aspects such as pollution, overcrowding and
poverty. There is no denying that all these factors exist, but one has to look
beyond them in order to appreciate the splendor and magnificence of this
incredible place.

      Many of my colleagues were so impressed and intrigued by what they
encountered that they decided to return with their families. To me, this was a
very encouraging step forward in acknowledging the beauty of a country that is
quite literally on our doorstep.

      What's more, by sharing ideas and forging a better understanding with our
Indian friends we have come to realize that we have been labeled as arrogant
misogynists who treat our workers badly and practice indiscriminate intolerance.

      As a group, we went to India with open minds and open hearts and came
back brimming with ideas and a treasure trove of friendship. As an individual,
I was afforded the unique privilege of not only dispelling myths that existed
within the international arena but of breaking down several of the stereotypes
that pervaded my own head about Saudi society. The honor of having an audience
with Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah and his sincere interest
in learning firsthand about our experiences and the impressions, good and bad,
that existed within the collective Indian psyche about the Kingdom is ample
demonstration of his unswerving commitment to making an important difference.
And if this coupled with the caliber of the dynamic intellectual and forward
thinking men and women who became my extended family on this trip is anything
to go by, then I believe that this country has a very bright future ahead of it
indeed.

      * * *

      (Lubna Hussain is a Saudi writer. She is based in Riyadh.)

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx