[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Society Won't Accept That!

  • From: "Ambon" <sea@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:29:23 +0100

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com
**http://www.arabnews.com/?page=13&section=0&article=77473&d=10&m=2&y=2006

Wednesday, 8, February, 2006 (09, Muharram, 1427)

      Society Won't Accept That!
      Abid Khazindar . Al-Riyadh

      Whenever there is a social or an intellectual or an economic activity
that women could get involved in, we suddenly hear a certain sentence repeated
non-stop: "There are no religious prohibitions but our society won't accept
that." All societies everywhere throughout history always oppose anything new
and unfamiliar. Over time, however, people get accustomed to new things and
accept them.

      These days, women are doing all sorts of things which were once
considered unsuitable and wrong. We have women in the media, in broadcasting,
in medicine, art and even going abroad as members of official delegations. All
of these things were, at one time, considered prohibited for women but all of
them are now familiar and cause little controversy or comment.

      There are other things that we oppose today even though they have been
usual since the beginnings of Islam. At the beginning of Islam, the sexes mixed
freely and interacted. For example, men and women mix when circling the Kaaba;
they did at the beginning of Islam and they still do today. They mix when
throwing stones at the devil and when nursing the injured in battle. Modern
life has made mixing the sexes usual - on airplanes, for example, and when
using public transportation.

      Security issues have made our society accept things they once rejected.
For example, a woman's picture with an uncovered face must be in her passport
and also on her personal ID. Women are not allowed to cover themselves
completely since terrorists and other criminals might do so and take advantage
of what is a social custom rather than a religious dictate.

      Then as things change and evolve, women themselves are forced to do what
they once refused. They are now expected to participate in decision-making in
different economic and social areas. They are expected even to take part in the
Shoura Council. No one would say in "And consult them in all affairs" (Holy
Qur'an 3:159 which is addressed to the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him) -
that the word "them" refers to men only.

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. No-email/web only: ppiindia-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx