[nasional_list] [ppiindia] Re: Cartoon battle turns uglier

  • From: "Lina Dahlan" <linadahlan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 05:38:18 -0000

** Forum Nasional Indonesia PPI India Mailing List **
** Untuk bergabung dg Milis Nasional kunjungi:
** Beasiswa dalam negeri dan luar negeri S1 S2 S3 dan post-doctoral
scholarship, kunjungi
http://informasi-beasiswa.blogspot.com **Saya juga terluka ketika ada yang
menghina junjungan Nabi Besar
Muhammad SAW, itu karena cinta dan sayang saya kepada beliau
sebagaimana saya terluka bila suami/anak/ibu dan ayah saya yang saya
cintai di hinakan orang.

Namun reaksi saya bukanlah suatu yang radikal, saya hanya berdo'a
kepada Allah SWT Yang menggenggam semua hati manusia, untuk memberi
petunjuk kepada mereka yang menghinakan Nabi SAW sambil saya
mengirimkan salam & salawat kepada kekasih Allah tsb.

Saya juga berdo'a semoga ini menjadi awal dakwah dan promosi tentang
siapa Nabi Muhammad SAW itu sebenarnya (sama spt ketika bom meledak
di WTC, USA yang menjadi dakwah perkembangan Islam). Hanya orang-
orang pandai yang mau membaca biografi orang2 terpandang. Mahatma
Gandhi, setelah membaca biografi Muhammad SAW mengatakan,"I wanted
to know the best of one who holds today's undisputed sway over the
hearts of millions of mankind.... I became more than convinced that
it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the
scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-
effacement of the Prophet, the scrupulous regard for his pledges,
his intense devotion to this friends and followers, his intrepidity,
his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission.
These and not the sword carried everything before them and
surmounted every obstacle. When I closed the 2nd volume (of the
Prophet's biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read
of the great life."

In the words of PROF. HURGRONJE:
   "The league of nations founded by the prophet of Islam put the
principle of international unity and human brotherhood on such
universal foundations as to show candle to other nations." He
continues: "The fact is that no nation of the world can show a
parallel to what Islam has done towards the realization of the
idea of the League of Nations."
   The world has not hesitated to raise to divinity, individuals
whose lives and missions have been lost in legend. Historically
speaking, none of these legends achieved even a fraction of what
Muhammad (pbuh) accomplished. And all his striving was for the sole
purpose of uniting mankind for the worship of One God on the codes
of moral excellence. Muhammad (pbuh) or his followers never at any
time claimed that he was a Son of God or the God-incarnate or a man
with divinity - but he always was and is even today considered as
only a Messenger chosen by God.

<lagi terbingung-bingung...kok prof ini bisa bicara antara negara
dan Islam, bagaimana Islam mempersatukan sebuah suku bangsa. Kenapa
orang sekarang mau memisahkan Islam dari negara? hmm jungkir-balik
pemikiran ?>

nb: Encyclopedia Britannica

wassalam,

--- In ppiindia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ambon" <sea@...> wrote:

> http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/780/re32.htm
>
>        2 - 8 February 2006
>       Issue No. 780
>

> Cartoon battle turns uglier
>

> A Danish newspaper's apology failed to subdue the anger on the
street over cartoons depicting Prophet Mohamed. Gihan Shahine tracks
a telling week

> Many Muslims in Egypt and the Islamic world scoffed at the apology
proffered by Jyllands-Posten's Chief Editor Carsten Juste this week
for the newspaper's decision to publish 12 cartoons depicting
Prophet Mohamed, including one with a turban shaped like a bomb
strapped to his head.

> The cartoons appeared in the Danish newspaper on 30 September
2005. When complaints first surfaced about them, Juste said
he "would not dream of saying sorry". This week's turnaround was the
result of a sudden escalation of anger in the Muslim world over the
offensive cartoons, which were subsequently republished in Norway.

> The newspaper was apparently pressured into issuing the apology
when Danish businessmen expressed concerns over growing waves of
boycotts of Danish products across the Arab world. Negative
diplomatic ramifications had also started to appear. On Sunday Libya
closed its embassy in Copenhagen in protest, and threatened to
take "unspecific economic measures" against Denmark, while Saudi
Arabia recalled its ambassador earlier in the week.

boycotted en masse in Saudi Arabia, several other Gulf countries,
Yemen and Iran. Meanwhile, a spate of protests erupted in different
parts of the world. On the West Bank, members of Fatah's Al-Aqsa
Martyrs Brigades carried out a major protest, with the demonstrators
burning the Danish flag, and calling on Palestinian authorities to
cut diplomatic ties with Denmark. They also threatened Danes in the
area, and told them to leave immediately.

> The Saudi Arabian boycott in particular hit Danish businesses
hard, threatening some 1.3 billion Saudi riyals worth of exports.
Egypt joined the boycott fray on Sunday, with many major supermarket
chains, including Metro and Seoudi, announcing that they had stopped
selling Danish products. The Pharmacists' Syndicate in Alexandria
also decided to boycott Danish pharmaceutical suppliers, and called
upon the Egyptian government to recall its ambassador to Denmark.
Mobile messages calling for a boycott, and listing the Danish and
Norwegian products to be avoided were widely circulated.

> "My 10-year-old son has now learnt to check the label of sweets
before he buys them to make sure they are not made in Denmark or
Norway," said a 30-year-old mother while shopping in a
supermarket. "If Danes are free to insult our prophet, then we are
free not to buy their products."

> The relativity of freedom appeared to be the key issue at stake.
After all, tellingly accompanying the newspaper's apology was a
warning that "the situation demands serious consideration by the EU,
because crucial principles are at stake if the situation is not
tackled sensibly." The EU, for its part, appeared to be supporting
the Danish government when it declared that, "any boycott of Danish
goods would be seen as a boycott of European goods."

> The conditional nature of these remarks helped keep the
controversy alive. An angry woman on an Orbit satellite channel talk
show on Monday night seemed to be speaking for many in the Arab
world when she said that the newspaper's "apology was far from
enough". During the show, hundreds of people called in and sent
messages urging a continuation of the boycott. "The Danes, and their
government, insisted on insulting our prophet, and showed that they
care little for our feelings. Now they come to simply say 'sorry'.
This is unacceptable, and sorry: we don't need their products
anymore," said another of the show's guests.

> The jab at the Danish government and public was in reaction to
Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen's decision not to
intervene in the affair, on the grounds of freedom of expression. An
opinion poll also showed that 79 per cent of Danes thought Rasmussen
should not issue an apology, and 62 per cent said the newspaper
should not apologise.

> Rasmussen did say, however, that his government respects Islam,
and never meant to defame prophets. He also expressed hopes that the
crisis would end after the newspaper apologised for the offence.

> That was not likely to happen, as was clear from the reaction of
disgruntled Egyptian MP Hamdi Hassan, who is also a member of the
outlawed Muslim Brotherhood. "The Danish government needs to make a
more formal apology," he told Al-Ahram Weekly, "in acknowledgment
that freedom of expression does not mean people are free to insult
prophets."

> Others slammed the EU's "double standards" for keeping silent
about the cartoons ridiculing Prophet Mohamed, while insisting on
enforcing economic sanctions against countries that publish anti-
Semitic material. "The world would have been up in arms had a Jewish
sanctuary been defamed instead," thundered Ahmed, a 36-year-old
accountant. "The world has to know Muslims will defend their prophet
until their last breath as well."

> Abdel-Moeti Bayoumi, a member of Al-Azhar's Islamic Research
Academy (IRA), called the boycott a religious duty. "The boycott is
the least Muslims could do to defend their prophet after the
majority of Danish people supported their government for not
apologising for the offensive drawings," Bayoumi told the
Weekly. "Now other nations will think twice before defaming Islam."

> This also appeared to be a clear case of over-optimistic thinking.
On Wednesday, French newspaper France Soir decided to reproduce the
offensive cartoons. The decision was made, the paper said, to show
that "religious dogma" has no place in a secular society. The French
government backed the paper's stance, saying it supported press
freedom, although it also added that beliefs and religions must be
respected. A domino effect soon took place, with several other major
European newspapers -- including Germany's Die Welt, Italy's La
Stampa, and Spain's El Periodico -- also choosing to reprint the
offensive cartoons.

> "Muslims might have miscalculated the manner in which they handled
the crisis," noted prominent Islamic scholar Abdel-Sabour Shahine,
who suggested that instead of pursuing a boycott of Danish products,
the Islamic world should have shown more tolerance, by focusing on
promoting dialogue with the west, and educating them more about
Islam. "The Qur'an ordains Muslims to engage in peaceful dialogue
and use a more logical approach with those of different creeds." The
prophet himself, Shahine argued, was constantly subject to offence
during the first years of his prophecy in Mecca, and his reactions
were so tolerant that those who initially opposed him ended up
becoming Muslim.

> "After all," said Shahine, "we'd rather have the Danes apologising
out of conviction, rather than because they feel threatened."

> Others, like Hassan, continued to insist that the boycott was very
effective in delivering an important message to the world: that
Muslims are still "alive, and are ready to unite and move".

> The question of who might lead that movement, however, was still
very much up in the air. Many Egyptians were upset at what they
called the "shamefully weak stance" of Al-Azhar, the Sunni world's
foremost seat of learning. Al-Azhar's grand imam, often criticised
for toeing the government line, had not been one of the first to
speak up about the offensive cartoons. When he finally did, he
sparked public outrage when he based his denunciation on the grounds
that it is "not acceptable to ridicule dead people in general, and
deceased prophets in particular"-- a statement that, albeit bearing
the official seal of Al-Azhar, was heartily denied in a subsequent
statement issued by Al-Azhar's Islamic Research Academy (IRA) on
Wednesday.

> Senior Al-Azhar cleric Mahmoud Ashour said that Al-Azhar scholars
convened immediately after the publication of the offensive cartoons
to study ways of countering them. "Our response appeared to be late
because we had to first see how the Danish government would react,"
Ashour said. "But the press spares no effort in belittling the role
of the grand imam, who loves Islam and the prophet more than anyone
else."

> Hassan and others remained sceptical of these kinds of
claims. "The grand imam's response sounded even more offensive than
the cartoons themselves because it supposedly came from the most
prestigious seat of learning in the Islamic world," the MP said.

> "How can Prophet Mohamed be compared with any other dead person?"
asked Ibrahim El-Zaafarani, a Muslim Brotherhood member of the Shura
Council who also serves as secretary-general of Alexandria's
Doctors' Syndicate. "It's a shame, a shame."

> Other scholars argued that the imam's statement ran counter to a
principle enshrined in the Qur'an, which implies that Prophet
Mohamed is spiritually alive amongst Muslims via his teachings. "If
the grand imam is more interested in his [position]," El-Zaafarani
said, "he needs to be made aware that the prestige of his seat stems
from the grandiosity of his religion."

> In the meantime, a host of other organisations -- including the
outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, the Federation of Arab Journalists, the
International Union of Muslim Clergy, the Islamic Conference
Organisation, the Arab League, and the Egyptian Parliament -- all
joined the fray, issuing statements condemning the cartoons. Several
protest marches are also being planned for Cairo and Alexandria this
Friday

Mohon Perhatian:

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi
4. Satu email perhari: ppiindia-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx