[nas-2000] Re: NAS really dead, any ideas?

  • From: Julius Loman <lomo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:02:44 +0200

On Thursday 26 July 2007 21:52, s.janzon@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
hi

> a few weeks ago i tried to flash my NAS to tinky-2_3_2_mu_02.
>
> Everything went fine until the question if I am sure that I want to
> programm the Boot Code.
how exactly did you perform the upgrade ? you don't have to program the boot
code ! there are several "partitions" on the flash and you need to program
only two of them.

the other solution is to program the whole flash. (but with another file!) it
looks like you did the second solution with the files for the first solution.

> I entered y but nothing happened afterwards. About 2 minutes later my
> telnet connection stopped. I waited about 30 minutes to be sure the
> programming has finished (if it is still active in the background).
> Then I switched off my NAS and tried to switch it on again. But
> nothing happend.
>
> The HDD spins up but then there is no activity. No HDD "noise" and the
> HDD LED is also dark. When i power on my NAS, wait a few minutes and
> press the power button again it switches off immediatly. There is no
> blinking NAS LED or something like that.
>
> It is also impossible to reach the NAS over network. arping the
> 192.168.2.71 during startup or the default IPs 192.168.1.1 does not
> work. The reset button has also no effect.
>
> I tried to remove the partitions on the NAS via USB (wich is still
> working) but this is also useless.
>
> So I tried to connect a serial cable which I built from an old S25
> RS232 data cable. If I power on my NAS with the cable connected to the
> serial Port, I can see that the cursor in the terminalemulation starts
> blinking faster than normal. So it seems that there is still some kind
> of activity. I am not sure if my cable works, because I never tried it
> on a working system.
>
> Anybody have some good ideas what I can try to reanimate my NAS?
bring it back to your dealer and play a dumb user ("It just stopped working. I
didn't do anything to it.") I don't think they will be investigating the
cause of failure.
--

[Julius Loman][lomo@xxxxxxxxxxx][http://lomo.kyberia.net][icq:35732873]