[nas-2000] NAS really dead, any ideas?

  • From: s.janzon@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:52:57 +0200

a few weeks ago i tried to flash my NAS to tinky-2_3_2_mu_02.

Everything went fine until the question if I am sure that I want to programm the Boot Code.

I entered y but nothing happened afterwards. About 2 minutes later my telnet connection stopped. I waited about 30 minutes to be sure the programming has finished (if it is still active in the background). Then I switched off my NAS and tried to switch it on again. But nothing happend.

The HDD spins up but then there is no activity. No HDD "noise" and the HDD LED is also dark. When i power on my NAS, wait a few minutes and press the power button again it switches off immediatly. There is no blinking NAS LED or something like that.

It is also impossible to reach the NAS over network. arping the during startup or the default IPs does not work. The reset button has also no effect.

I tried to remove the partitions on the NAS via USB (wich is still working) but this is also useless.

So I tried to connect a serial cable which I built from an old S25 RS232 data cable. If I power on my NAS with the cable connected to the serial Port, I can see that the cursor in the terminalemulation starts blinking faster than normal. So it seems that there is still some kind of activity. I am not sure if my cable works, because I never tried it on a working system.

Anybody have some good ideas what I can try to reanimate my NAS?