[nas-2000] Dual HDD NAS

  • From: "Faye Pearson" <faye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:09:44 +0100

Hi,

I have what seems to be a kissing cousin of the NAS-2000, an unbranded
box called the "Dual HDD NAS (SATA)".

vault> cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : FA52Xid(wb) rev 1 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 69.83
Features        : swp half thumb
Hardware        : Sword sl2312
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000
It has 64Mb RAM and the usual RedBoot flash bootstrap... Thanks to the
folk on the Wiki for the "fix your flash if you lose power" help :)

I have 2.3.3a firmware for it which apparently fixes some bugs with
handling 500Gb drives. (musing if it will handle still larger drives)

vault> cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.10_dev-versatile926ejs (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
(gcc version 3.4.4) #29 Fri Apr 27 04:41:40 CST 2007

It came with a version of daapd which talks to 7.0.2 iTunes for Mac,
but not 7.2.

It sets up two partitions for swap, on hda3 and hdc3.. but doesn't
mkswap either of them, so it can't swapon them.  It only lists hda3 in
fstab.

Dropbear was a "drop-in" and even survived a flash upgrade.
inetd.conf is nuked of course at each reboot.  It would be nice to
have that fixed - I guess Tinky handles this?

It has a USB port, USB1 ohci.. but loads an ehci driver uhci driver,
and a wireless lan driver!!  I'm thinking this firmware is quite
generic.

I'm suffering quite a lot of dropped packets which is affecting upload speed.

I've tried tweaking various kernel tuneables to no effect so far.  One
thing to note is that there are some storlink_* tuneables under
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/

I'm guessing that these are due to some proprietary code, since a
google search for them turns up nothing.

What I'm interested in: tinky style upgrade for the firmware - ipkg
handling, pluggable rc.* files. afpovertcp, firefly.

Anyway, that's quite enough from me for my first post,

Hope to share lots of interesting infos,

Faye