[nas-2000] Re: Dual HDD NAS

  • From: philipp Wehrheim <flipstar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:00:38 +0200

Hi Faye,

Faye Pearson wrote:
> Hi,
> I have what seems to be a kissing cousin of the NAS-2000, an unbranded
> box called the "Dual HDD NAS (SATA)".
> vault> cat /proc/cpuinfo
> Processor       : FA52Xid(wb) rev 1 (v4l)
> BogoMIPS        : 69.83
> Features        : swp half thumb
> Hardware        : Sword sl2312
> Revision        : 0000
> Serial          : 0000000000000000
> It has 64Mb RAM and the usual RedBoot flash bootstrap... Thanks to the
> folk on the Wiki for the "fix your flash if you lose power" help :)
> I have 2.3.3a firmware for it which apparently fixes some bugs with
> handling 500Gb drives. (musing if it will handle still larger drives)
do you know where to download the firmware?
> vault> cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.10_dev-versatile926ejs (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
> (gcc version 3.4.4) #29 Fri Apr 27 04:41:40 CST 2007
> It came with a version of daapd which talks to 7.0.2 iTunes for Mac,
> but not 7.2.
> It sets up two partitions for swap, on hda3 and hdc3.. but doesn't
> mkswap either of them, so it can't swapon them.  It only lists hda3 in
> fstab.
> Dropbear was a "drop-in" and even survived a flash upgrade.
> inetd.conf is nuked of course at each reboot.  It would be nice to
> have that fixed - I guess Tinky handles this?
> It has a USB port, USB1 ohci.. but loads an ehci driver uhci driver,
> and a wireless lan driver!!  I'm thinking this firmware is quite
> generic.
> I'm suffering quite a lot of dropped packets which is affecting upload
> speed.
How did you notice (ifconfig?)
> I've tried tweaking various kernel tuneables to no effect so far.  One
> thing to note is that there are some storlink_* tuneables under
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/

I have seen these entries but ... no idea what they are for.
> I'm guessing that these are due to some proprietary code, since a
> google search for them turns up nothing.

A few day ago I had an interesting talk on arm.linux.org.uk
and somebody pointed out that pcengines will soon have an new board
(storlink based) so with some luck the slXXXX will soon be supported
by the mainstream kernel :-)
> What I'm interested in: tinky style upgrade for the firmware - ipkg
> handling, pluggable rc.* files. afpovertcp, firefly.

what is "afpovertcp"

im looking for iscsi :-)
> Anyway, that's quite enough from me for my first post,
> Hope to share lots of interesting infos,
You may have noticed that tom (from this list) has a dualnas as well.