[nas-2000] Re: Bootloader - cheap JTAG here..

  • From: "Alfred Bruckner" <alfred.bruckner@xxxxxx>
  • To: <nas-2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 17:32:05 +0100

Hi,
nice to hear that you could reactivate your NAS!

FlashTool was a teamwork of rambo who did the SW and me who had to find out
how we can access the CPU and Flash through JTAG.
At the beginning I thought it is easy to access the Flash but it wasn't.
The CPU has no JTAG scan chain as known from other chips.
You cannot access the Pins with boundary scan! You must use the debug
functionality and write CPU registers and assembly commands to access the
Flash. I believe it is nearly impossible to understand what the SW is doing
if you don't know the background.
We want to add one more feature to FlashTool so we can't release the source
now. It is written in Visual C++.
FTDI2232 support could be possible.
Would you like to adopt it to linux? I am not sure if it is worth doing so
as we have a working solution now and it is only needed for emergency
recovery.
Maybe wine could be a solution.

Regards,
  Alfred