[nanomsg] Language binding vs custom network protocol implementation

  • From: Mingfai <mingfai.ma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 23:37:41 +0800

hi,

for pub-sub and push-pull, probably the other as well, the
wire/transportation/network protocol of NanoMsg is quite simple,
apparently, the first conversation to establish the protocol/pattern, then
sending message is all about a 8-byte header/length and then payload. Every
port can bind for only one protocol.

given the network protocol is simple, what kind of advantage we can get
from using a language binding in compare to just implement the network
protocol?

My case is using Java, and Java has very mature async network libraries,
e.g. Netty, that allow me to implement a subscriber, or maintains the
channels of inbound connections as publisher, easily. On the other hand,
the two bindings are relatively immature and harder to use.

One step backward, the reason I wound want to use NanoMsg (at least it's
protocol) is to avoid design my protocol to use defined patterns, and allow
interoperability with non-Java platform.

So I basically want to figure out what kind of magic the C binding does. :-)

thanks,
mingfai