[nanomsg] Re: Development Focus of nanomsg

  • From: Stefan de Konink <stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:33:55 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014, Martin Sustrik wrote:

The real reason why so many messaging systems are obsesed with
guaranteed delivery is that it's always tick-box in corporate
requirements.

However, guaranteed delivery is a myth. Nothing is 100% guaranteed.
That's the nature of the world we live in.

What we should do instead is to build an internet-like system that is
resilient in face of failures and routes around damage.

I can give you an example. Over ZeroMQ we currently distribute all the realtime transit information of The Netherlands, a lot of subscribers to it, over the internet etc. While the original system is HTTP POST based we choose for a PubSub.

One of the feeds contains current positions of a bus, at least every minute such location is updated. Missing a message isn't a big deal.

What is in fact a big deal, is missing a message stating this bus is cancelled, which is send just once. Thus I would like to give my subscribers the option that they will get this message, no matter what. And I don't want to have to program this myself.

...yes I could use a GTFS-RT/websockets approach where I store all data relevant and beyond, but that is outside the realm of this service: send and forget.

Stefan