[nama] Re: Thoughts about Nama's organisational features

  • From: "S. Massy" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:54:15 -0400

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 09:56:44PM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> HJi Massy!
>   Dynamic groups? We already have the bunches, which you could use
> for something like:
> for guitars; mute
Yes, and bunches are pretty useful already. But with something like
tags, the point is that you could operate on multiple tracks without
even needing to create bunches. For instance, you could tag a track
guitar, chords, and double and refer to it by any of these tags in a for
"statement". It could even be taken one step further with a simple
and/or/not logic. Imagine: "for !~rhythm; mute"! This is just kicking
ideas around, but it could make working with nama much quicker,
especially for larger projects.

>   The notes feature, could probably be implemented as the comments
> are implemented. Only thing, the notes, the way you describe them,
> can't just be stored in the project state file. Using an editor
Yes, I see it as pretty simple: basically just linking a text file with
the track and perhaps eventually tracking it with git.

> shouldn't be difficult, there's an environment variable, in the
> .ecasoundrc there's a config variable for that and if all that
> doesn't seem good enough, we could have just one more in .namarc. A
Just using the environment variable would be good enough for me.

> pager to list them is already in use, i.e. less. Personally, I
> wouldn't use that feature, but I can see, that it might be nice for
> working on a project with several people or documenting work in such
> a way, that you can recreate it later, if something gets lost or you
> need the same tricks again.
I think the point of a simple text file is that it gives one the
plexibility to store/organise information in whichever way one likes.
That's also why I like the idea of tags.

Cheers,
S.M.