[nama] Thoughts about Nama's organisational features

  • From: "S. Massy" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:45:06 -0400

Hello,

Some musings...

Most DAWs give one the ability to colour code tracks and/or organise
them in specific ways. I was wondering what we could do to facilitate
organisation in nama.

Firstly, what we already do have:
- Working in a text-based environment gives us a lot of inherent
  organisational power insofar as we can create suitable naming schemes:
  e.g my tracks are usually consistently abbreviated (grhythm, glead,
  gacc, etc.) while my busses are usually one word beginning with an
  uppercase (Guitars, Drums, etc.).
- Busses allow us to organise tracks in sensible ways.
- Bunches are a convenient way to group tracks together and address
  them.
- We have one-liner comments for tracks and versions.

What we might need:
- I could have sworn show used to list tracks below the buss they belong
  to, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
- Tags could be a powerful tool for:
  - Creating dynamic groups (for ~guitar; mute)
  - Project tracking (piano add_tag REDO)
- Track notes have often been something I've found myself wishing for.
  Basically, the idea is that someone could simply type something like
  (piano notes) and would find oneself in a text editor. The notes could
  be stored in a .notes directory mirroring .wav and the content could
  be viewed from the nama prompt using a command like show_notes, or
  of course by typing "notes" again to go back to the text editor.
  Combined with git commits, the conscientious engineer could have a
  very powerful tool at his disposal to track what has been done and
  what remains to be done in a project.

None of this is tremendously pressing, but it's fun to kick around!

Cheers,
S.M.