[mysql-dde] Re: implementation plan

  • From: "Peter B. Volk" <PeterB.Volk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <mysql-dde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:16:46 +0100

Hey,

I would like to make clear that the implementation of the students is only a
prototype to prove that the theory works. Things like table masking etc. are
then guarantied to work properly. Also this implementation can be used for
the production implementation as a skeleton.

see the awnsers below.

Peter

> Maybe you're being ambitious, or otimist. I find this time very short to
> guarantee these results.
> How many people do you have to work on it?

Two groups with 5 people. Both groups will produce a seperate solution.

> Do all of you already know MySql architecture deep enough?

no but the storage engines can be develped completly sperate to the MySql
main application (see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/custom-engine.html). This way they
don't need to know the complete archetekture only a very smal part.

> Don't you need to spend time studying and establishing project solution?

Not realy. By giving them the smal steps for the implementation we take a
way the workload for them of making a project plan.

> Hey,
>
> How do you think people from MySQL AB (and from TU Dresden, too) are
seeing
> the "time" question? Are you being pressed by them in respect to it?

They don't seem to feel under pressure. Also I'm not beeing presed into this
time frame. I just think that right here we have the possibility to have
someone implement basic functionality to show to MySql that the concept it
self actually works. Once the Students have completed their work we have a
system where we can do insert, selects and deletes.

> Consider the answers below:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > had an apointment today with the TU. within the next 4 months we will
have
> > prototype with the following functions:
> >
> > Add/remove server from cluster,
>
> I think this need a infraestructure implemented to save group management
> data, able to guarantee the low-level comunication management. It spends
> time...

Yes this includes internal tables as proposed for the information_schema in
the design document.

> > Create/delete Cluster,
>
> Maybe it is a little bit faster, once the groups table being already
> created.
>
> > Inserts/deletes and selects running,
>
> > Communication protocoll between Servers (the thing with the hint message
> > etc.),
>
> Traditionally, it could spend times, too... :)

Well since we whant to map the communication to the traditional SQL we can
have the Federated storage engine hacked. This engine already does the exact
same thing as we want to have. It take the primitive from above the storage
engine and then transforms this into an SQL for the remote table. So in
theory this part is only a copy and paste job

> > "static" distribution of data amon servers (we limited the deistribution
> > a hashcode of a cloumn that determans the location for the row)
>
> Well, if you consider punctual tests, in laboratory, it's ok. But if you
> consider a complete test (from external user transaction), maybe this
could
> be a bit more complicated. This action maybe needs to have the engine
> already working. What do you think?

Well actually Mark (the guy from the TU doing this with me) whanted them to
implement real distribution already distributing the row by workload. By I
thought that that would be overkill. Why would the engine need to be
working? The problems with mutli user stuff is consistency guaranty. Meaning
Master election for p/f/u key stuff, Deadlock stuff or simular. So when the
basic single user system is there then the system would need to be addabted
to multiuser stuff.

> > Also as gloabl limitation: single user system.
> >
> > sounds ok to you?
> >

> Sounds surreal. :)
>
> > Peter

MySql-DDE discussion list