[mveg-9] Re: New member

  • From: James Klicman <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mveg-9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:18:37 -0700

Hello Everyone,

Since Major did such a great job introducing me, I'm not sure there is
much else to say. Since many of your introductions included a historical
perspective, I'll share some history as well.

I started programming in the third grade on an Apple at school, this was
back in 1982. The first computer I owned was an Atari XE which I still
have. In 1994, I was introduced to Sun workstations and SunOS which
ignited my interest in UNIX. Shortly afterwords, I downloaded Slackware
over a modem onto a dozen floppy disks. GNU/Linux then became my primary
OS. Since 1994 I've learned a myriad of programming languages and written
quite a bit of software.

I've been recently making an effort to give back to the GNU free-software
and open-source software community which has enriched my computing experience
so greatly.

Recently, I was amused to find that my very first contribution to free
software in 1995 has survived. It was SVGA support for an MPEG-1 player.
http://linux.dsi.internet2.edu/apps/graphics/viewers/svga/svgamp-1.0.patch

I look forward to working with everyone on great video software. Though
I know this is a Mac focused group, I hope that this project does not
abandon it's UNIX roots. I would like to see great video software flourish
on other platforms as well.

-James