[mveg-9] Re: Binary Ready-to-Run MPEG-1/2 Encoder

  • From: major4@xxxxxxx
  • To: mveg-9@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:20:55 +0200

Yo James.

Following MPEG-2 licensing terms, if you distribute binaries of an MPEG
encoder you may (depending on jurisdiction) be liable to pay patent
royalties.

It seem that these patent laws are not strongly pursued in the EU, but
you may be in a legal grayzone. Andrew Stevens from mjpegtools crew
said that he doesn't think that the MPEG committee pursues OpenSource
implementations of MPEG codecs, and he has never been accused of
anything.

There is however the example of TMPGenc. It started as a free product,
but MPEG-LA became aware of it and demanded patent royalty payments, so
remaining free was not an option and mpeg-2 encoding was only activated
in a "Pro" paying version.

The system used by Mediapipe (autocompiling) is of course very nice. I
guess there could also be as you suggest an installer automatically
compiling and moving all the sensible binaries in /usr/bin, such
installer could be a sort of standalone product.

major-