[muglo] Re: new Airport base station

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:51:40 -0500

I presume you have an Airport Base station that has two ethernet ports, one
for the WAN or the modem (wide-area-network) and one for the LAN
(local-area-network) or your local wired computer/hub/router. Since you have
the internet up & running I'm guessing you also have a dial-up connection
active (or was it Paul that was having problems with dial-up?).

For Dial-up:
You still need to have _two_ ethernet ports on the Airport, even if you
don't connect to the web via highspeed modem. Since you already have an
ethernet network I'm also presuming that you already have either have a hub
or a router. Plug a cable into the uplink port on the router/hub and the
other end into the LAN ethernet port on the Airport. Depending on the cable
you're using and the "intelligence" of the Airport you may have to fiddle
with the cross-over/direct switch on your router/hub or try plugging the
cable into a "regular" (i.e. not uplink) port on the router/hub.

If you have a high-speed modem (cable or ADSL) and lack a LAN port on your
Airport (i.e. only have a WAN port) you have two options:
1. connect the rest of your computers via wireless (USB-Wireless, or
Wireless-Ethernet adapters);
2. connect a router/hub to the modem and the Airport to the router/hub. In
this scenario, if the modem is also a router then you need to do nothing
more. If it is not a router you must have a router connected between the
modem and the rest of the network (i.e. computers hooked up to the router
and the Airport hooked up to the router).

If you have a high-speed modem (cable or ADSL) and a LAN port on your
Airport (2nd ethernet port):
1. connect a router/hub to the 2nd port on the Airport (see comments re:
uplink, cross-over/direct above).

Anyway, lots of options for you. If you can't get it working, ask for
clarification b/c I left out a lot of steps.

Eric.