[muglo] Re: new Airport base station

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:00:06 -0500

> >I presume you have an Airport Base station that has two ethernet ports,
>one
> >for the WAN or the modem (wide-area-network) and one for the LAN
> >(local-area-network) or your local wired computer/hub/router.
>
>  Nope. Ethernet port and modem port.

This means it's one of the Graphite base stations (first model of Airport).

> >For Dial-up:
> >You still need to have _two_ ethernet ports on the Airport,
>
>:-(

You could still get other computers on the network working with dial-up
internet through a wireless<->ethernet bridge gadget.

> >even if you
> >don't connect to the web via highspeed modem. Since you already have an
> >ethernet network I'm also presuming that you already have either have a
>hub
> >or a router.
>
>for instance G3 --> hub --> Airport
>
> >Plug a cable into the uplink port on the router/hub and the
> >other end into the LAN ethernet port on the Airport.
>
>Aaaah.... The Airport needs to run from the hub's uplink port... Hmmmm...

I'm not at all sure how it would work now that I think of it (it's not a
configuration I've ever encountered).

You may or may not be able to share the dial-up internet over the ethernet
port built into the Airport. I'm guessing maybe not, maybe so. It doesn't
make logical sense given the purpose of the Airport's ethernet port (to hook
up to the internet), but who knows, perhaps Apple foresaw this situation and
built-in the functionality into the software (logically you could treat the
wired port the same as wireless connections and have the DHCP server active
also on the wired port?

>I may need to change the wiring configuration in the house then, as I
>have:
>
>G3 & Laser Printer --> hub uplink  --> second hub --> alanna computer &
>Evan Computer
>
>as a legacy wiring arrangement when the G3 was half-a-house away. It was
>convenient to leave the second hub in the basement, when the first was on
>the second floor. (There remains an ethernet wire to the back bedroom :-)
>from the basement hub.) Now the first hub (now in the first floor) is
>basically above the second, I think a new wiring arrangement with only
>one hub and running the Airport from the uplink will do it (?)

Let me know if that works. It'd be interesting to know if the one wired port
on the Airport can also have the DHCP server active (the reason I say it
might not work is that what you are doing is a rather unusual
configuration... normally dial-up internet is not a shared resource b/c of
the bandwidth limitations).

Eric.