[muglo] Re: .exe Viewer?

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:55:14 -0400

on 10/4/03 11:56 AM, Eurogarth at eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Martin,
> Yes indeed it is a 266.
>
> I'm doing all my file transfers across my network which I manage from the
> iMAC... It's do much easier for me than the using the pc to manage and
> transfer files.
>
> As such, I don't really need Virtual PC except for those damn exe files. At
> around 100.00, Virtual PC seems like an expensive translator, and apple
> specs say a min of 500MHz is required... I know and have disregarded speed
> requirement to run OSX exclusively, but I do have to put up with the
> occasional hang... my friends experience even more hangs than me when
> running VirtualPC so my search continues.

I'd stick with the real PC in the basement. The trip down there will help
prevent the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome, and it'll provide a little
exercise in the process.

As for alternatives, there is an alternative to Virtual PC and it is only
$30 US. HOWEVER, you do need a Windows CD to be able to install into it and
it only runs in OS X. VPC is much faster than this application and, doesn't
cost that much more for the DOS version.

If you're running a 266 I would stay far away from VPC. It's just not fast
enough except for the most basic of tasks. Even my 400 MHz G3 isn't up to
running 98 very well.

Eric.