[muglo] Re: VPC (was- Re: OS X Upgrade)

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:03:54 -0400

>By the sounds of it you have bad RAM, a bad CPU or a poorly ventilated
>machine (in order of most common reasons for kernel panics IIRC). I haven't
>seen reports of instability on older CPUs for 10.2.6 but perhaps you have
>some unusual hardware that is causing problems? OS X is much less tolerant
>of cheap hardware than is OS 9 (a good thing IMO... I'd rather spend a
>paltry extra 50% on RAM to get a 100% stable computer)!!!

i dont know. I installed a cpu heatsink fan over the heatsink
recently. But there's some glitch in the processor (recognized by
powerlogix) where it cant register temperature, which sucks. I dont
know if its too hot. Anyway, I am running a G4 550 chip from
Powerlogix. It's less than a year old.
Also, my ram is from OWC, also less than a year old. Lifetime
warranty on the ram, and I doubt its bad.

>To what are you referring when you say "upgrade chip"? Do you mean extra RAM
>or an upgraded CPU. If it's RAM, I would suggest pulling it and seeing if
>that gets rid of your OS X crashes (you can run OS X in 128 MB of RAM for
>testing purposes).

its all upgrade ram 4x 256

>Also, what do you mean with crashes or OS X needs to be restarted as often
>as OS 9?
>
>In the lingo of OS X an OS crash *only* refers to a kernel panic (when the
>instructions appear on the screen) (or some other form of complete computer
>freeze... if that happens more than once in a blue you have hardware or heat
>problems) that requires the three finger salute or a press of the reset
>button (or, I guess for some computers, turning off power).

yes, that. The instructions on screen and also sometimes freezes
where the mouse moves but clciking anything does not work.

>Applications can crash quite safely independently of each other (which is
>the beauty of protected memory). PS get the latest Camino if you haven't
>already done so. I initially hated Safari's GUI but now it's my default
>browser (tabs rule!). If the white bothers you, try turning down the
>brightness on your monitor.

I dont worry abt the apps crashing, i just restart them. A bit
annoying, but ok. But I have crashes every few days. And white, yes a
problem,. And my monitor is already super dull... the brightness is
at 0% and the contrast at 30% if I go any duller I wont be seeing
anything. That's why I cant use an LCD... toooooo bright even at the
lowest setting. I always liked passive matrix laptop screens... much
duller!

>If you are getting random kernel panics chances are you have problematic
>hardware. My B&W was were pretty stable even in OS X 10.1.5 (much more
>stable than OS 9.1/9.2.2). With OS X 10.2 things were pretty stable except
>for faulty RAM. I threw in a 256 MB RAM chip and would get kernel panics if
>I pushed my computer on hot days (so... rather than go through the hassle of
>getting another chip (so much trouble, eh) I simply didn't push my computer
>hard on warm days)... also, JewelToy would cause the computer to crash
>(JewelToy really pushed the RAM hard).

Well, I think it is software... why? bc I have a whole bunch of
weirdo hacks installed in the OS, and also things like PCIextreme,
which I know has made things more unstable.

And, I've always felt upgrade cpu chips were more unstable than Apple ones.

But really, this crashiness happens most frequently when I'm using
Eudora. Or maybe only when I'm using Eudora.... too bad I love
Eudora...