[muglo] Re: VPC (was- Re: OS X Upgrade)

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:05:18 -0400

By the sounds of it you have bad RAM, a bad CPU or a poorly ventilated
machine (in order of most common reasons for kernel panics IIRC). I haven't
seen reports of instability on older CPUs for 10.2.6 but perhaps you have
some unusual hardware that is causing problems? OS X is much less tolerant
of cheap hardware than is OS 9 (a good thing IMO... I'd rather spend a
paltry extra 50% on RAM to get a 100% stable computer)!!!

To what are you referring when you say "upgrade chip"? Do you mean extra RAM
or an upgraded CPU. If it's RAM, I would suggest pulling it and seeing if
that gets rid of your OS X crashes (you can run OS X in 128 MB of RAM for
testing purposes).

Also, what do you mean with crashes or OS X needs to be restarted as often
as OS 9?

In the lingo of OS X an OS crash *only* refers to a kernel panic (when the
instructions appear on the screen) (or some other form of complete computer
freeze... if that happens more than once in a blue you have hardware or heat
problems) that requires the three finger salute or a press of the reset
button (or, I guess for some computers, turning off power).

Just as an FYI: the last kernel panic that I had was 7-April :) :) :) (I
know I've had at least one "Classic" crash... that's what I like to call
it... my screen goes all funy and Classic "burns" into the screen).

Applications can crash quite safely independently of each other (which is
the beauty of protected memory). PS get the latest Camino if you haven't
already done so. I initially hated Safari's GUI but now it's my default
browser (tabs rule!). If the white bothers you, try turning down the
brightness on your monitor.

If you are getting random kernel panics chances are you have problematic
hardware. My B&W was were pretty stable even in OS X 10.1.5 (much more
stable than OS 9.1/9.2.2). With OS X 10.2 things were pretty stable except
for faulty RAM. I threw in a 256 MB RAM chip and would get kernel panics if
I pushed my computer on hot days (so... rather than go through the hassle of
getting another chip (so much trouble, eh) I simply didn't push my computer
hard on warm days)... also, JewelToy would cause the computer to crash
(JewelToy really pushed the RAM hard).

On my PB G3 I literally *never* am forced to restart the computer because of
a crash. Once in a blue moon (month or so) I will restart the computer b/c a
component of the GUI has gone funny (but, usually if I'm patient the problem
fixes itself... OS X will often automagically kill and relaunch components
that crash).

Eric.