[muglo] Re: Time Machine unedited

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:07:26 -0500

On 14-Jan-11, at 10:19 AM, Wayne Dobson wrote:

Many, many years ago when I started in electronic repair, I learned Rule 1: "Verify the malfunction". That's to say, don't tear it apart until you verify it's plugged in and turned on. When Time Machine still tries to backup every hour, then obviously it is not turned off and controlled by TME. Your two control panels should look like the attached screen shot. Time Machine editor is just that. It edits the normally static settings for Time Machine. Time Machine must still be operative(but turned off), with the correct drive selected for backups. Your drive must be plugged in and turned on(not as silly as it sounds). Don't forget to hit the 'Apply' button in TME. This turns it on. You don't have to wait a week to see if it works-just open your backup drive icon(it will be present if plugged in and working), and check for recent backup folders(no hourly ones).

Both panels look exactly like that, Wayne, and I did go through all those steps before hitting 'apply'. The only thing I didn't do was check immediately to discover that it wasn't working, which was careless. No doubt there's some other crucial thing I've done or failed to do that would explain the problem, but by now I don't care any more. TimeMachineScheduler seems to be doing the job. Thanks, though. Ain't it grand? I used to think I was at the bleeding edge of technological innovation when I could dial a phone number, stick the handset into an acoustic coupler and use Red Ryder to yack back and forth with half a dozen other geeks on a bulletin board system with my 128k Mac.