[muglo] Re: Time Machine unedited

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:19:45 -0500

Many, many years ago when I started in electronic repair, I learned Rule 1: "Verify the malfunction". That's to say, don't tear it apart until you verify it's plugged in and turned on. When Time Machine still tries to backup every hour, then obviously it is not turned off and controlled by TME. Your two control panels should look like the attached screen shot. Time Machine editor is just that. It edits the normally static settings for Time Machine. Time Machine must still be operative(but turned off), with the correct drive selected for backups. Your drive must be plugged in and turned on(not as silly as it sounds). Don't forget to hit the 'Apply' button in TME. This turns it on. You don't have to wait a week to see if it works- just open your backup drive icon(it will be present if plugged in and working), and check for recent backup folders(no hourly ones).

TimeMachineEditor's only function on the iBook seems to be to make Time Machine itself inoperative while leaving it as intrusive as ever.

With Time Machine turned off as per TME instructions, and TME set to produce backups only every 12 hours, Time Machine still interrupts hourly, although for a shorter time. I haven't been pleased about that, but thought it was at least an improvement of sorts — until I discovered the reason today. Time Machine now is only faking; directed by TME, it now comes on — hourly — and makes a brief pretence of backing up, but in fact no backup is created. Nothing has been copied for a week.

TME is now gone and I'm testing TimeMachineScheduler. Like TME it has a maximum interval setting of 12 hours — I really want 24, so I can have my backups running in the middle of the night — but maybe it will at least deliver what it promises.

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx
(519) 474-1253 res.
(519) 860-2725 cell