[muglo] Re: Survey

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:59:53 -0500

>Rather than cut a snip Eric's message I'll just my $0.02 worth.

I will snip ;)

>In terms of moving to X I look at what it is going to cost me.  I
>have 4 computers running in my little network from a lowly 7200
>(OS 8.6), iMac 233, G3 233 (oc'd to 266 wow!!) and a Cube, the
>latter 3 on OS 9.2.2.  I could move to X on the Cube but when I
>move I want all the same operating system.

Why would you want the same OS? That the beauty of having so many machines.
You can keep the slower & less useful ones to do the occasional must-do OS 9
task and as servers (since even the 7200 can do that) and the Cube can be
your learn OS X/fiddle with OS 9 machine.

>Now to upgrade the iMac is a few hundred - $200 - 400 for a
>processor, $50 - 100 (or more) for  a bigger drive (still got the
>lowly 4 gig), max out the memory (in other words get all the
>largest it can take and turf the rest) another $200 or so -
>that's $500 for a machine tha's still got a 66 Mhz bus, 6 Meg of
>Vram, and 15" screen.

Upgrading is *never* as cost effective as buying a new machine, especially
if it's an iMac 233!!! Those machines are effectively dead in the water
unless you run them as OS X servers or OS 9 clients.

>Then I have to do the same to my G3 - similar cost? lets say
>another $500.  Then I have the aggravation on the G3 of loading
>Xpisfacto (sp?) and partitioning my drive & still no USB or
>firewire (another $50 - $100).

Why Xpostfacto? Or do you have a Beige G3? Unless you plan to use the Beige
for server duty I'd leave it at OS 9 if you're not an OS X user (I'd prefer
a G3/300 running OS X 10.2 to 9.2.2 for day-to-day tasks... web browsing
will be much more stable and faster under OS X).

>What can I get for my 7200 - I pay you $50 to take it away?

Hahahahahaha.

>For that kind of money I can get one (1) eMac but I'm still short
>2 computers.

It seems to me you *already* have the solution but i'm at a loss as to why
you'd want to have all your computers running the same OS

1. Get the eMac and leave your Beige G3, iMac and 7200 alone and upgrade the
Cube to OS X.

2. Don't get a new computer, pop in a CPU upgrade into the Cube (<a
href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/powerlogix_g4_1ghz/index.html";>http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/powerlogix_g4_1ghz/index.html</a>)

and run 10.3!!! *Why* do you need all your computers running the same OS? AW
is compatible between OS 9 and OS X as are Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, thus
you could easily work on one computer in os x and work on the same doc on
another computer in os 9. What else do you need?

Eric.