[muglo] Re: Speediest?

  • From: Dave Knight <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:26:36 -0400

I have "TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro"

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

I got 15 ms / 29.28 Mb/s / 0.98 Mb/s at Speedtest

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1453032692.png

which seems like nonsense given that the service I have promises 'up to 15
Mb/s'.

TekSavvy have their own speed test and it gives me 17.04 Mb/s / 0.96 Mb/s
(converting from the kb/s reported by dividing by 1024)

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/17447633;988327;e0c255db08ce03c0df109418195a601a;3.0;speedtest.teksavvy.com/98418673

this seems a bit more realistic. However, I have no clue what these speed test
apps are really measuring, some real world tests would be more useful.

I can download a big file (Lion update) from Apple

$ curl -O
http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/041-1715.20110816.Llu6y/MacOSXUpd10.7.1.dmg

  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 79.2M  100 79.2M    0     0  1470k      0  0:00:55  0:00:55 --:--:-- 2275k

Converting that from kB/s I'm getting 11.5 Mb/s

..which seems reasonable.

I like TekSavvy, it mostly Just Works(tm), I'm not locked in to a contract, and
on the rare occasion I have to call them about something I am quickly connected
to a human and that human is typically unfettered by the rampant mental
dysfunction that comes of working for either Bell or Rogers :)

dave