[muglo] Re: OS's

  • From: Payton Cannon <ngagpa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:42:07 -0700

>on 1/10/01 19:31, Tee Cashmore.1 at tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>  Payton Cannon wrote:
>>
>>>  My question is, doesn't this make for a
>>>  very, very large chunk of HD dedicated to the operating system? I
>>>  mean, it seems the update is in additon to the more basic version. I
>>>  haven't installed obviously, and any input on this would be
>>>  appreciated. Thanx and, aloha.
>
>If you're running OS X already you will not be dedicating any new HD space
>to the OS. OS X 10.1 is a pretty heavy-duty re-write of OS X 10.0.4 and
>replaces instead of adding components (purportedly getting rid of quite a
>few of the problems associated with it).
>

>>  Hi,
>>  It sort of makes the "minimum 128 megs ram" to run O/S X seem a tad
>>  shy!! Seems like we're going the way of the big blue machines. Mind you
>>  there are those on Delphi.com/macos that claim to have hacked a few bits
>>  of pieces out of X.
>>  OTOH 600 M may be much less when installed.
>
><chuckle> 128 MB as a minimum. HAHAHAHA. That's like saying that 32 MB is
>sufficient to run OS 9 with Word, Photoshop and Netscrape at the same time
>under virtual memory. You *need* at least 256 MB to run without constantly
>hitting virtual memory, and preferably more. 320 IS NOT ENOUGH if you want
>to do anything complex.
>
>Considering how cheap RAM is I don't even think that it's an issue. Last
>Thursday I saw a 256 MB PC133 SD-RAM for $50 CDN in a clone computer store.
>It'll work in any desktop and newer iMac that runs OS X, from the G3/233
>through to the G4/800 DP. RAM for laptops is only marginally more expensive.
>You can get 128 MB SO-DIMMs for under $50 which'll fit in iMacs and G3
>Powerbooks. I'm waiting until November before adding a 256 MB DIMM (hoping
>prices will drop even more... I've seen a 50% price drop since April) to
>bump things to 576 MB (that should keep me happy until 2003... when I need
>more I'll replace the 64 with a 256)
>
>L8r, Eric.
>
>Yep - hear THAT! Actually, 576 is exactly what I'm running on this
>here G3,bronze, firewire. Eric, I tried putting two 512's in cause
>this site told me it could be done and succeded in shorting out the
>daughterboard. At this point, I've got the 512 topslot and the 64 in
>the bottom. I have a 128 sitting here staring me in the face but I
>got a little gun shy after that last experience - I wonder, will the
>bottom slot of a 400M take it?

And Tee Cashmore - yep that's what I understand as of recently also.
If I wasn't going to do some traveling next week I'd have installed
this OS X by now - but at this point, I just can't afford to take the
time with the new OS. Gimmie two weeks and I'll be BSBing with the
best of ya. I am really anxious ...

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>