[mswindowsxp] Re: Scripting Windows XP installs - whats the best tool

  • From: "Christy Hemenway" <christy.hemenway@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:10:34 -0400

Mornin'!
RIS Remote Installation Server.
I've been working with this recently and after you do the requisite =
upgrades to RIS (and SP3 on W2K servers) to get it to do XP and W2K =
servers, it does a nice job of installing XP on systems that have PCI =
nic cards.  You can integrate the service pack into XP, you can install =
apps, and I can now put my company's image down on a workstation (P4, =
1.6GHz, 512MG RAM) in 17 minutes from boot to completion.  It's pretty =
basic -- XP with SP1, (games removed), OfficeXP, Outlook XP, Norton Corp =
Antivirus, Winzip, Adobe... but 17 minutes is WAY fast.

If your desktops don't already have PXE (Pre-boot eXEcution) nics, you =
build a PXE boot disk (explained in most of the docs) boot to the =
floppy, hit F12, give it a user name, password, and domain for an =
account that can add computer accounts to the domain, hit enter a couple =
of times, and let it rip.  Pop the floppy out and head for the next one.

On the other hand, I am not having any luck at the moment with =
discovering how RIS and answer files work together, and the research =
I've done is confusing.  But at this point, all the RIS install requires =
is for the installer to add Name, Organization, and the %*#%#@^* =
25-digit product code.  I know there's a way to give it that information =
- my hope is to find THAT today.

Note that the PCI card requirement eliminates the laptops, unless you =
have a docking station with a PCI card, but other than that, it's =
hardware independent.

Good luck!  700 is a lot of systems!
:-)
 -- Christy