[mswindowsxp] Re: Option to Resize E-Mail Pictures gone.

  • From: Joe Parker <joeparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:07:54 -0500

At 04:24 AM 12/3/2004, you wrote:
>Okay: When I open my "My Pictures" folder, There is a Pane down the
>left-hand side and one of the boxes in it is named:  "File and Folder Tasks

Alright. This means your not using Windows Classic folder view, and that
you have View>Explorer bar>Folders turned off. Whatever you prefer, but I
find files much easier to locate with Classic View. Look under Folder Options.

>In the past, however, it
>would give me the choice of making the pictures smaller ( about 56kbs) not
>actually compressing them.

You have been misled. In fact, all WinXP does is *resize* the pic, and it
doesn't always do that. I didn't play with it too long, but in theory this
could actually result in a much *larger* file size. At any rate it's not
what you were intending.

While resizing a pic smaller is one method of reducing file size, it's not
the best, especially if you're trying to send an accurate copy to someone.
Many graphics apps include compression wizards to aid you in achieving a
maximum quality/file size ratio, and this is really what you should look into.

The ever popular freeware Irfanview does not seem to include a wizard for
this, but when done manually would give vastly superior results.