[msexchange] distribution list delivery failures

  • From: Tracy Gaynor <twgaynor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: msexchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:11:44 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

I have encountered an issue I didn't think could
happen.  I'm wondering if anyone else out there has
experienced this and figured out a better
fix/solution.

Running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Win2K server SP3.

I have a few distribution lists created with internet
(SMTP) addresses so external senders can send mail to
the single list, and it passes the message on to the
staff assigned to the list.

We have a size limit in place for our users that is
usually more than adequate.  90MB warn, 95 MB can't
send, 100MB can't receive.

(for the sake of example),
externalDL1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  And this list has 6 of my
indiviual users, and one internal distribution list.

So mail sent to externalDL1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx comes in and
is passed out to users 1 through 6, and also the 3
users in a departmental list.

It's alwyas worked fine.  But today I found that one
of the ultimate 9 users assigned to the external
distribution list, is out on maternity leave, and her
mailbox has exceeded its limit.  So the entire list
does not receive the message sent.  Furthermore, it
sends a delivery failure to the sender that shows the
user specifically who failed receipt.  So my hidden
list membership is really compromised as a result.

I temproarily set this specific user to not use the
default size limits, and set it to never fail
delivery.  Once she is back, we'll clean out and
re-apply the default limit.

My concern is how to prevent this from happening.  I
have a hidden mailbox created to act as a central
store for all mail sent to this list, and wondered
about removing the external list, assining the same
smtp address to the hidden mailbox, and then creating
a server side rule (if possible) that coppies to a new
list I could create internally.  I'm not sure about
how to set server-side rules though, and feel like
this shouldn't be necessary.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Tracy W. Gaynor