[msexchange] Re: Symantec AntiVirus for SMTP Gateways 3.1

  • From: Tracy Gaynor <twgaynor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: msexchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 06:53:38 -0800 (PST)

We've been running SAVSMTP 3.1 for a few months now.
It helps but like anything has its limits.
In our case, I find:

*the heuristic scanning is inconsistent sometimes.

*I wish it allowed for content scanning

*dnsbl feature only works if the server is the first
recipient of mail from the internet.  In my case, I'm
in a campus level WAN scenario where every smtp
message comes from a relay, so DNSBL won't help us.

*Symantec rarely updates their SPAM scanning engine.
I believe it is about a year old or so.  So
personally, I wish they'd update the heuristics to
look for the plethora of new worms we all battle so
routinely these days.

*be sure you modify your MX records in DNS to route
all mail through the new gateway.  If you leave your
old exchange serer as an MX reference, then mail could
still bypass the gateway.

Don't let me paint too bleak a picture though.  Having
another level of A/V scanning where we can scan mail
before it touches the exchange store is great.
Scanning attachments and filtering out known
suspicious or unwanted file types is great.  You also
are licensed for the Exchange scanning application
with Corp 8.1, so be sure to utilize that as well, but
you need to exclude certain directories and logs for
that to run properly.

Same goes for SMTP gateway, exclude the program and
working directories from your A/V client.

Another tip, if you are running the NAV client on the
gateway, and/or your exchange server, you do not want
multiple live-updates set up.  It won't work.  Just go
with the A/V client's settings and then configure your
central live update to pull the additional definitions
needed.

Feel free to email me if you have any specific
questions.  We've been running this suite for quite a
while.  Sadly, I went almost a year before I realized
we were licensed for the Exchange and SMTP
applicationsalso.  Oh well.

Tracy W. Gaynor
Asst. Director of Information Technology

--- Christine Easton <christine.easton@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Running Exchange 5.5 sp4 on a windows 2000, sp3 box.
>
> We just upgraded our servers to Corporate edition
> 8.1 and with the purchase
> we get the above referenced software.
>
> Anyone using the above product to block potential
> viruses, spam, etc?  If
> so, how does it work?  Any issues?
>

> Thanks.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html