Tuesday, 08 April 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:34:47 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

T H E    P L A N    F O R    M Y    E Y E
As most of you know I was diagnosed with a Uveal Melanoma (Eye Cancer)
twelve years ago.  It was treated with Proton Beam Radiation in Boston and
had been doing just fine, with some usable vision, until 15 months ago when
there was an interior bleed.  There has been no usable vision since then. I
have undergone many surgeries in Boston and Rochester in the past months,
and laser procedures to prevent abnormal vessels from breaking and to reduce
eye pressure.  Despite that the problems continue and the pressure remains
eye and the eye painful and troublesome. We decided to day that it's the
best course of action to remove the eye.  I hope to have it done as soon as
possible! I'll meet with a doctor at Mayo in Rochester tomorrow and set a
date and course of action that will include a prosthetic eye in time (about
6 weeks after the surgery).  I'm very much at peace with the course of
action and have felt for some time that it's the best option.  Keep me in
your prayers.  I'll let you know the exact date of the surgery soon!  There
will be no more pain, no more weakening eye-drops and no more trips to
Boston.  I'll only miss the trips to Boston.  (-:

P I L G R I M A G E    2 0 0 8
We'll visit Southern Italy, Assisi, Rome and the Vatican from 10-21 November
2008.  $2699 from Chicago or $2899 from La Crosse, Wisconsin. The brochure
is available in Church or on-line.  Just follow the link from: www.frpat.com

Stephen said to the people, the elders, and the scribes: "You stiff-necked
people, uncircumcised in heart and ears,
you always oppose the Holy Spirit; you are just like your ancestors. ~ Acts
7:51-8:1a

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never
hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst." ~ John 6:30-35

Some people were ready to believe in Jesus' resurrection.  Others weren't.
Today we hear about the stoning of Saint Stephen, and how Saul of Tarsus
(who would become Saint Paul after his conversion) was there and concurred
with the stoning.  In the Gospel we have Jesus speaking again about breaking
bread and sharing his risen life as he says, "I am the bread of life;
whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never
thirst."

I pray that I may not be a doubter, a stiff-necked person, but be a believer
in Jesus' resurrection and all it means for me and the world.  I pray that I
may receive the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ and bring the
justice and peace of his body and blood to the world around me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Jack asks prayers for his granddaughter who was seriously injured by a
babysitter. Nancy from PA requests prayers for a little two-year-old girl
who was brutally beaten by her mother's boyfriend and is clinging to life
that she may recover from her severe injuries and justice may be brought to
those responsible. A member asks prayers for her daughter who is having
surgery for her and her rotator cuff that she will have the surgery and that
she will heal quickly and  completely with no complications.

Sharon requests prayers for her husband who has been diagnosed with an
inoperable terminal brain tumor, that God will heal him in body and spirit.
A member requests prayers for his sister-in-law and brother who are
expecting a child. Debbie asks for continued prayers for 1 year old friends
granddaughter who survived two major surgeries and now faces the possibility
of a deteriorating brain stem.

Frank asks prayers for his family and friends who are driving to Florida for
a safe journey and a safe return home. Jim requests prayers for his daughter
and himself for special intentions, and for his other daughter who is trying
to become pregnant. Nancy asks prayers for her sister who has been diagnosed
with breast cancer.

Carol asks prayers for a father with three small children, who is starting
chemo for an aggressive cancer. Carol asks prayers for her granddaughter who
will undergo an MRI to determine need for another surgery. Rosemary asks for
prayers for her niece who is having a double mastectomy on April 8th. Kris
asks for prayers for her husband who has a cancer check-up this week and for
his doctors.

Deb asks prayers for her mother who is struggling with osteoarthritis and
chronic, severe pain. Rebecca requests prayers of thanksgiving for her
successful Lap band surgery and opportunity to live a healthier life. A
member requests prayers for her son, that he will get the job he seeks and
it will work out well for him. Karl requests prayers while battling multiple
medical problems including type 2 diabetes with related depression and
anxiety.

Pat asks prayers for pregnant daughter and baby for sono tomorrow to show
baby is growing and normal. A member requests prayers for members of his
family who are experiencing ill health, for healing and good results of
medical tests. Mother asks prayers for her son who is addicted to drugs that
he will stop and lead a productive life. Sudeep asks prayers for a special
intention.

JaniceMarie asks prayers for her daughter and grandson and herself who are
in need of healing their relationship. Frieda asks prayers for her daughter
who is suffering horrific drug side-effects. Florence asks prayers for
recovery of an elderly friend who is dealing with complications from a fall.
Kathy asks prayer for her uncle who has a collapsed lung & pneumonia. Marisa
asks for prayers for herself, that God will answer a special intention.