<MP>Tuesday, 23 December 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 00:20:13 -0600 (CST)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P  R A Y E R  :=:
     ~From Father Pat Umberger

.=:  S A I N T    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

St. John of Kanty (1390?-1473)
John was a country lad who made good in the big city and the big
university of Kraków, Poland. After brilliant studies he was ordained a
priest and became a professor of theology. The inevitable opposition which
saints encounter led to his being ousted by rivals and sent to be a parish
priest at Olkusz. An extremely humble man, he did his best, but his best
was not to the liking of his parishioners. Besides, he was afraid of the
responsibilities of his position. But in the end he won his people’s
hearts. After some time he returned to Kraków and taught Scripture for the
remainder of his life. For more, follow this link:
http://www.americancatholic.org/features/SaintofDay/

.=:  S C R I P T U R E    O F    T  H E    D A Y  :=.

Thus says the Lord GOD: Lo, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way
before me; And suddenly there will come to the temple the LORD whom you
seek, And the messenger of the covenant whom you desire. ~Malachi 3:1-4,
23-24

“No. He will be called John.” But they answered her, “There is no one
among your relatives who has this name.” So they made signs, asking his
father what he wished him to be called. He asked for a tablet and wrote,
“John is his name,” and all were amazed. Immediately his mouth was opened,
his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God. ~Luke 1:57-66

.=: M E D I T A T I O N    O F    T H E    D A Y  :=.

An extraordinary child, John the Baptist, is born. Another, Jesus, is on
the way. Indeed our redemption is close at hand.  John knew that his place
was simply to point the way to the Messiah. He was just the messenger,
sent to prepare the way. So we heed the Baptist’s call to repent, to lower
the mountains and raise the valleys, to make the crooked way straight, to
prepare the way for the Lord to come to us at Christmas and at the end of
time as well.

 .=: P R A Y E R    F O R    T H E    D A Y  :=.

I pray that I may heed the Baptist’s call to repent, to prepare the way
for the Lord to come to me at Christmas and at the end of time.  I pray
that I may work for the things that last forever!

We pray for the justice that leads to lasting peace, and for the
willingness to stand up for and defend life. We pray for all those being
called to Church vocations, that they may be willing to respond
generously.

Keep me in your prayers and know you are remembered in mine as well.  May
God continue to bless you and those you love, and keep you safe!

Father Pat
                    ~Be still and know that I am God.”  ~Psalm 46:10