<MP>Tuesday, 14 April 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 20:36:45 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Blessed Peter Gonzalez (d. 1246)
St. Paul had a conversion experience on the road to Damascus. Many years
later, the same proved true for Peter Gonzalez, who triumphantly rode his
horse into the Spanish city of Astorga in the 13th century to take up an
important post at the cathedral. The animal stumbled and fell, leaving Peter
in the mud and onlookers amused. Humbled, Peter reevaluated his motivations
(his bishop-uncle had secured the cathedral post for him) and started down a
new path. He became a Dominican priest and proved to be a most effective
preacher. He spent much of his time as court chaplain, and attempted to
exert positive influence on the behavior of members of the court. After King
Ferdinand III and his troops defeated the Moors at Cordoba, Peter was
successful in restraining the soldiers from pillaging and persuaded the king
to treat the defeated Moors with compassion.  For more, follow the link
below:

He testified with many other arguments, and was exhorting them, "Save
yourselves from this corrupt generation." Those who accepted his message
were baptized, and about three thousand persons were added that day. ~Acts
2:36-41

Mary went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and then
reported what he had told her. ~John 20:11-18

Our Gospel begins with Mary Magdalene at the tomb of Jesus weeping,
believing the body of Jesus was stolen. She encounters Jesus and believes.
It is incredible how Christianity grew, 3000 persons being added in one day
according to the first reading. It can continue to grow and have greater
influence.  The job of evangelizing (reaching out to bring others closer) is
ours.  May our faith be strengthened and renewed this Easter Season that we
may be up to the challenge the Lord puts before us.

I pray that I may come to a deeper understanding and appreciation of the
Resurrection.  I pray that Christianity may grow because of what I say and
do.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Leila is asking for prayers for a 7 year old little boy who has an
inoperable cancerous tumor located on his brain. Lynn asks prayers for her
son who is under extreme stress do to financial problems and for her 2 year
old grandson who has special needs. Linda requests prayers for her daughter
who will be entering the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist this fall
and for all those discerning God's call to the priesthood, diaconate and
religious, that they will hear and respond to God's call.

Ann requests prayers for her brother who will be having back surgery on
Wednesday for a sciatic nerve. Geri asks for prayers for her 16-month-old
great-nephew who will undergo a biopsy to help treat his lack of muscle
development. Jean requests prayer for her family who is going through a
serious situation involving the mom and her nervous breakdown.

Henry requests prayers that his daughter may obtain a job soon in order to
aid in the support of her family. Mary asks for prayers as she seeks
employment. Nancy from PA requests prayers for friends of her son and
daughter-in-law who just found out they are pregnant that she may have a
safe and healthy baby, unlike the stillborn daughter they had four years
ago. Jackie asks prayers for a special intention.