<MP:>Monday, 28 December 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:56:17 -0600 (CST)

 .=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
Dates for the Ireland Pilgrimage are 18-28 October 2010. Air Space has now
been reserved from La Crosse, WI and O'Hare Aiport in Chicago. It
will be a non-stop flight on American Airlines from O'Hare to Dublin.
More information and a complete itinerary will be on the way very soon!
Keep this great Pilgrimage in the back of your mind ... or start saving
your nickels. I'll let you know when firm dates and other information is
available. For now, let's pray for the success of this wonderful
Pilgrimage! If you're interested visit my Web Site and sign up for
informational e-mails.  www.frpat.com

Here's a great way to help Saint Patrick's Parish and have something to
look forward to all year long. Our Adesse Raffle Calendars offer a prize
every day in 2010 ... from $30 to $500 each day.  Prizes total $16,580. No
more than 3000 calendars are sold.  If you're interested in helping out,
just follow the banner link from:  www.frpat.com

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Feast of the Holy Innocents
Herod ?the Great,? king of Judea, was unpopular with his people because of
his connections with the Romans and his religious indifference. Hence he
was insecure and fearful of any threat to his throne. He was a master
politician and a tyrant capable of extreme brutality. He killed his wife,
his brother and his sister?s two husbands, to name only a few. Matthew
2:1-18 tells this story: Herod was ?greatly troubled? when astrologers
from the east came asking the whereabouts of ?the newborn king of the
Jews,? whose star they had seen. They were told that the Jewish Scriptures
named Bethlehem as the place where the Messiah would be born. Herod
cunningly told them to report back to him so that he could also ?do him
homage.? They found Jesus, offered him their gifts and, warned by an
angel, avoided Herod on their way home. Jesus escaped to Egypt. Herod
became furious and ?ordered the massacre of all the boys in Bethlehem and
its vicinity two years old and under.? The horror of the massacre and the
devastation of the mothers and fathers led Matthew to quote Jeremiah: ?A
voice was heard in Ramah,/sobbing and loud lamentation;/Rachel weeping for
her children...? (Matthew 2:18). Rachel was the wife of Jacob/Israel. She
is pictured as weeping at the place where the Israelites were herded
together by the conquering Assyrians for their march into captivity.
  For more, follow the link below:

My children, I am writing this to you so that you may not commit sin. But
if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the
righteous one. He is expiation for our sins, and not for our sins only but
for those of the whole world. ~1 John 1:5-22

When Herod realized that he had been deceived by the magi, he became
furious. He ordered the massacre of all the boys in Bethlehem and its
vicinity two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had
ascertained from the magi. ~Matthew 2:13-18

Herod would do anything to hold onto his power and authority. So innocents
were slaughtered. We can be critical, and we should be.  But what are we
willing to sacrifice to save face, to preserve our own power and
authority? What happens when we take the focus off ourselves as Jesus did,
andthen work for justice and peace.

I pray that I may think more about others than about myself.  I pray that
I may not worry so much about my power and authority ... or saving face
... but about livinig my life for others as Jesus did.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

We pray for unity in our country and that we may build a Culture of Life.
We pray for the safety of our troops, their safe return and their families
at home.  We pray for a deep and profound respect for life, and for the
courage and willingness to stand up for life. We pray for one another, for
those who have asked our prayers and for those who need our prayers the
most. Have a good day!