<MP>Monday, 11 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 18:19:33 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Ignatius of Laconi (1701-1781)
Ignatius is another sainted begging brother. He was the second of seven
children of peasant parents in Sardinia. His path to the Franciscans was
unusual. During a serious illness, Ignatius vowed to become a Capuchin if he
recovered. He regained his health but ignored the promise. A riding accident
prompted him to renew the pledge, which he acted on the second time; he was
20 then. Ignatius's reputation for self-denial and charity led to his
appointment as the official beggar for the friars in Cagliari. He fulfilled
that task for 40 years; he was blind the last two years. While on his
rounds, Ignatius would instruct the children, visit the sick and urge
sinners to repent. The people of Cagliari were inspired by his kindness and
his faithfulness to his work. He was canonized in 1951.  For more, follow
the link below:

At Lystra there was a crippled man, lame from birth, who had never walked.
He listened to Paul speaking, who looked intently at him, saw that he had
the faith to be healed, and called out in a loud voice, "Stand up straight
on your feet."
He jumped up and began to walk about. When the crowds saw what Paul had
done, they cried out in Lycaonian, "The gods have come down to us in human
form." ~Acts 14:5-18

Jesus answered and said to him, "Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my
Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with
him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear
is not mine but that of the Father who sent me.  ~John 14:21-26

Signs and wonders were worked through Jesus' disciples. They provided an
invitation to come closer to the Lord. As Jesus says in today's Gospel,
"Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we
will come to him and make our dwelling with him."

I pray that I may be inspired by God's work through the hands of Jesus'
disciples.  I pray that I may love God and keep His word, that God will come
to me and make his dwelling with me.