<MP>Sunday, 10 May 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 09:36:30 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Blessed Damien of Molokai (1840-1889)
When Joseph de Veuster was born in Tremelo, Belgium, in 1840, few people in
Europe had any firsthand knowledge of leprosy (Hansen's disease). By the
time he died at the age of 49, people all over the world knew about this
disease because of him. They knew that human compassion could soften the
ravages of this disease. Forced to quit school at age 13 to work on the
family farm, six years later Joseph entered the Congregation of the Sacred
Hearts of Jesus and Mary, taking the name of a fourth-century physician and
martyr. When his brother Pamphile, a priest in the same congregation, fell
ill and was unable to go to the Hawaiian Islands as assigned, Damien quickly
volunteered in his place. In May 1864, two months after arriving in his new
mission, Damien was ordained a priest in Honolulu and assigned to the island
of Hawaii.  For more, follow the link below:

When Saul arrived in Jerusalem he tried to join the disciples, but they were
all afraid of him, not believing that he was a disciple. ~Acts 9:26-31

Jesus said to his disciples: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine
grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and every
one that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. ~John 15:1-8

When we change our lives for the better, people notice.  Saul had been the
greatest of persecutors, and all of a sudden he claims to be a disciple of
Jesus.  Still, people were afraid of him.  In our Gospel Jesus talks about
pruning parts of the vine that don't bear fruit.  God does that.  Paul was
"pruned," and he believed. We can be pruned too, and become disciples as
well.

I pray that I may become a better disciple.  I pray that I may allow the
Lord to prune back my behavior that doesn't conform to His plan for me, that
I may bear better fruit.