[moneytalks] Re: CATEGORY SUMMARY

  • From: "Steve Zielinski" <steveziel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 08:31:26 -0500

Richard,

I think I understand and hope I can explain.

I believe you have the same payer name associated with credits and debits.  You
need to use slightly different names for these two types of transactions.

Let's give an example, I think I can better explain that way.  Let's say you
make a withdrawal to pay your electric bill. This is the first payment you've
ever enter in money talks to pay your electric company, so there are no choices
in your payee/payer field regarding the name of your electric company.

After hitting ctrl+t, you type in the name of the electric company, the outfit
which is getting paid. If you shift-tab one space to the credit/debit radio
button, you will see you are defaulting to a debit transaction.  MT defaults to
debits since these are what most people will do with the program, pay bills,
etc., and they will have relatively fewer credits.

After filling out the amount, and making sure the date is correct, filling out
the optional Item field, then the optional memo, you come to the optional
category field and its optional associated sub-category.

You probably will choose Utilities in the category field, and then tab to the
subcategory field and choose or enter, "electric, or something like that.

Now here's the trick.  In the future, when you again write a check or make a
paymentt to your electric company, you press ctrl+t, then perhaps the first
couple letters of the name of the electric company.  Then you press the down
arrow key and up pops up the full name of the electric company.  But take a
moment to shift-tab, and notice you are seeing the debit button.  Tab forward
and notice you have the same category and subcategory you first chose when
first entering the electric bill.  That is utility in the category field and
electric in the subcategory.

But, and this is important, if you were to go back to the debit button just
before the payee/payer field, and change that to credit, then you will have
blanked out the category and the subcategory entries associated with your
electric company payment.  You are now getting ready to enter your electrid
company transaction as a credit, with its own unique category and subcategory.
That is, your electric company, from the viewpoint of Money "Talks, is going to
pay money into your account, not the other way around.

If you again pick utility as the category and electric as the subcategory you
are causing a certain amount of confusion with money talks.

I'll give you a personal example of this situation and how I got around it.  A
credit card I have is with a certain bank, let's call it Joe's Bank and Trust.
When I made my first payment to the credit card account after getting money
talks,
I entered it by pressing ctrl+t, then I used the payee name of "Joe's Bank and
Trust, ppayment".  I changed the default debit button to credit, and in the
category field I use the category name "Credit card payment".

When the bank hits me with a finance charge, I used the name Joe's Bank and
Trust, finance charge" in the payer/payee field, and made sure the credit/debit
button stayed on debit.  This allowed me to use a different category and
subcategory.

So now I just make sure I am selecting the correct variation of the name Joe's
Bank and Trust, the debit or credit radio button is automatically associated
with the variant of Joe's Bank and Trust I have selected, and the category and
subcategory I selected with the debit or credit is correct.

The problem develops if you use the same payee/payer name and switch the
debit/credit button from one state to the other.  I had a situation where I was
using the payee/payer name of "cash" for both withdrawals and deposits to a
checking account.  Every time I changed the state of the debit/credit button,
my category subcategory field would blank out, I had to re-enter them.

I solved it by only using "cash" for withdrawals, and "cash deposit" for
crediting my checking account.

This keeps the credit/debit radio button correct, and associates the correct
category and subcategory all the time.

See if this is what is causing you problems.  Let me know if I can help any
further.

  Best,
  Steve