[molions] Cody Johnson Post

  • From: "J.Y. Miller" <j.y.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Molions <molions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 15:37:28 +0000 (UTC)

Yesterday, Lion Cody posted a copy of an E-mail he had received from Salim
Moussan RE the elections for International Officers. That message bounced for
reasons that I am unable to determine. It might have been just too long. If so,
this one will bounce also.
Lion Cody asked if any other Lions had received the same message. I did receive
it and I suspect that many other Lions did as well.
Without any comment on the merit of Lion Salim's issue, I will comment that
this situation has come up before. I remember the convention in Dallas, TX in
which the local newspapers wrote that they were surprised that a particular
candidate did not win, because it seemed that everyone in Dallas had an
umbrella, hat, bag of almonds, or some other campaign material from the
candidate that did not "have the nod".
We have seen this same system have an effect on Missouri Lions Elections for ID
candidates in the past. It is what it is. I doubt if it will change soon.
For what it is worth, I belong to some other organizations in which the same
structure exists.
I am posting the subject e-mail below, so that you will know what is going on.
J. Y.

-------------------------------------------------------------Fellow Lions of
the World, Greetings from Honolulu attending my 28th consecutive International
Convention since my induction, an unforgettable decision taken in May 1988 that
has affected my whole life as it led me to a noble purpose of serving others.
And I look forward to meet, greet and shake hands with you. As you may be
aware, I am ready to serve our association in running for the position of
International Second Vice President.   I am writing this letter to seek your
understanding of the unfair process of selection by a few followed by a
systematic direction by a few more, who have been earlier selected through this
same process feeling the obligation to pay back to the system. And the circle
goes round and round. All of this happens under an intimidation process that
goes to the point of telling me “Salim, why you are doing this? You cannot win
against the system, no one can because the system controls everything. Doors
will be opened to the favorite candidate while the same doors will be closed at
you and you will be buried immediately after the election”. Now I understand
that till today, only 3 days before the convention I received only two
invitations to Caucuses of Multiple Districts among so many. The purpose is to
let Lions interpret my absence as an ignorance.  “Buried, broken, humiliated,
intimidated…” are the words I heard even from close friends with the highest
ranks, some with a spirit of advice, some with a challenging tone, many I know
since more than 25 years. It is shockingly saddening. I wish to share some
facts about matters that many Lions may not be aware of:-          At the
Toronto 2014 Parade marching route all ISAAME Area was placed between Tennessee
(state of then candidate, now VP Bob Corlew) and Texas (state of then candidate
PID Mike Butler) with no justification and no logic in why a whole area that
name starts with “I” marches between two US states that names start with “T”
and both had candidates at the same convention-          Those who were in
Toronto at the closing session witnessed more than an hour delay in announcing
the result-          The result announced was 44+% versus 55+% for the winner
in comparison to 33% versus 67% in the last two contested elections 8 years ago
at Boston 2006 and 16 years ago at Birmingham 1998. This is a remarkable
growing increase in the Lions decisions. This info was not circulated later to
leave a sense of fear and doubt among candidates and mainly the voters that the
system is still solid.-          It is a first time that contested elections
for Second Vice President go back to back in two consecutive years (2014 &
2015). Many doubted my commitment to stay on as candidate in Honolulu after the
result in Toronto. Now everyone know that I am more than ever, convinced of my
will and commitment empowered by encouragement from Lions and faith in my
mission.I understand a system to be a mechanism used by people for the benefit
of people, here we find that in LCI some have become the system. I was never
given an opportunity for an interview, I was told I have a “geographical”
problem. Why? Because Lebanon, a small country (although it was the founding
country in 1952 in ISAAME) is in the same area with India a large country that
I respect and in where I cherish long time friendships among Lions there. I am
not sure how many fellow Indian Lions know that I was the only foreigner
attending their 40th Anniversary of Lionism in Delhi 1996, when I was a PDG. I
do not understand why I need the endorsement of my area and where this
constitutional rule is found. I am running for International Officer of the
World to serve the Lions of the world not any area. And if this is the case
then why PID Mike Butler who by receiving 44% of the world vote in Toronto and
with a simple math analysis it means clearly he received a wide vote majority
of his own Area (USA), was not the one “selected” as it is imposed on other
areas? This shows that the system works based on “it depends”.Fellow Lions,
this explanation can go on and on, what I am trying to bring your attention to
is that the traditional excuse that “it is working under this system” must
change to “it can work better without it”. Why we need a system directed by few
while we have a Constitution that must be used by all? Why we have to revise
the meaning of the first “L” in LIONS to Loyalty to a few instead of the
original Liberty to all?  Why the second letter “I” in LIONS has to be
Intimidation instead of the original Intelligence…??? On the other hand we hear
that the International Board of Directors for three consecutive years has
endorsed unanimously PID Naresh Aggarwal. In what democracy we find 100-0 vote?
Even dictatorial government regimes allow for few % of NO’s even if the ruler
is the only candidate. How it possible is that one PID (candidate PID Naresh
Aggarwal) receives 100% of endorsements by elected ID’s against 0% for another
PID (me in this case) in three consecutive years? I am afraid the Board is used
as a legal tool to cover the system politics. I know most of ID’s are not
convinced of what they did but it’s how it is. On what criteria, merit or
analytical evaluation the system makes the comparison to select? Actually how
many Lions know that the 2012-13 Board at its last meeting in Hamburg just
prior to the convention has endorsed two candidates from within itself, a
sitting Director and and a Board Appointee for Toronto 2014 and Honolulu 2015
respectively creating an unprecedented question mark about a dramatic conflict
of interest.My friends, the propaganda goes on and on, PID Naresh campaign is
stressing on numbers and endorsements that started to shower from July 2014 at
the very first Council meetings when the agenda should be the welfare of
Lionism and preparation at the beginning of the year, it went so fast even
before I prepared my brochure draft. Many have endorsed even last year, not
even waiting to know who may be the other candidates for Honolulu ignoring the
several certified all-qualified candidates as per June magazine. Needless to
say the first MD’s to send endorsements during the last three years were the
ones who have ID’s on the Board, others who have PIP’s and those MD’s who have
current awaiting hopeful and deserving PID’s who are potential candidates. We
have many qualified candidates from all over the world waiting for years (I am
endorsed by my district since 2008), many others from different areas including
USA, Canada, Europe, FOLAC and even my area ISAAME where other qualified
candidates were and are in waiting. It is the rule of “grant hope but never
satisfaction” that is keeping the system working.I do not understand how
Councils are being asked and pushed to endorse someone (most of the time
unknown to them), in July/August when all qualified candidates related
information is only published many months later (in June) and just few weeks
before the vote! This is again part of the process that must be reviewed and
revised. While we go around Forums to introduce ourselves as candidates
starting from end August we find that most of MD’s have already endorsed
someone entitled the “preferred candidate”!  Lions in USA/Canada know in their
annual Leadership Forum that rules stated clearly in the program booklet are
very strict and that no campaign materials to be distributed in the venues and
certainly no endorsement to be adopted. I received a very strict letter about
it before arriving to San Juan last September and I fully respected it. But the
invitation card to meet the other candidate was distributed openly by hands
flowing around dinner tables at the Opening Session in non-other than the main
“venue” at the convention center bluntly disrespecting the so called “sacred”
rule of “NO POLITICS” at the Forum. How this can happen? It is the system that
covers it.They say they were endorsed at Europa Forum, this is “NOT CORRECT”.
Executive Officers were present. They say they were endorsed at FOLAC Forum,
again: “NOT CORRECT”, IP Joe Preston was there. And the list goes on and on.
Figures and Numbers trying to impress and to intimidate…… I need to borrow a
paragraph from a brave open letter sent last year by a respectable Past
President that define the injustice and unconstitutional action of the system
that is very much alive today:               ‘Unfortunately, today I see a
spirit of “follow me or bear the consequence”.   A spirit of threats, bullying,
harassment, attacking one’s integrity if you don’t follow the “head table”,
intimidation, and retribution (rewards for loyalty rather than for demonstrated
Lions achievements and service).  These “threats” have been leveled at other
past Officers, International Directors, past International Directors, to
Council Chairs, District Governors, and even to wives of Past Presidents.
Regrettably, these threats and harassment are coming from some of our Officers,
Past Presidents, and Past International Directors.  Our Lions are neither deaf
nor blind to these actions surrounding the upcoming election….’ As I wrote to
Fellow US Lions greeting them on June 14 US Flag Day "I am hopeful, it is their
choice though, to apply in Lions decisions as they do in their daily life
during the beautiful allegiance to the flag with '….Liberty and Justice for
all'.  Fellow Lions of the World, I hope you will exercise your Liberty and
Justice to vote on June 30 with clear conscience to any candidate you feel he
or she can represent you best and who can help improve the image of our great
association at the centennial year. For that mission I am fully committed, more
and more every day! We Serve Lion Salim MoussanCandidate, International 2nd
Vice PresidentHonolulu, Hawaii Convention 2015  www.salimmoussan.com Facebook:
Salim J MoussanFacebook: PID Lion Salim Moussan Twitter: SalimMoussan

J. Y. Miller j.y.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        http://www.jymiller.net