[modular-debian] Re: Getting started with qemu

  • From: Marty <martyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 23:46:18 -0500

On 11/10/2014 08:10 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 16:04:16 -0800
"Go Linux" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender
"golinux@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC) wrote:

> On 11/09/2014
> 12:19 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> As far as Jessie, I'm now trying to distance myself from Debian.

> SteveT

Then maybe modular-debian is not the appropriate name for this list.
Just sayin'  . . .

golinux

That's an insightful and observant comment. I'll bet you dollars to
donuts that if Joel Roth had created this list today, it would have a
different name, but the logistics of changing it now would hurt the
group. Also, I'll bet some in this group are loyal to Debian and just
want it systemd-free.

The other thing is, this name reminds us of the journey we're on, and
where we've come from. A couple months ago I think most of us figured
"oh, this is just a technical glitch exploited by Red Hat." A couple
months ago I'll bet most of us wanted a systemd-free Debian, but now
several of us will accept any old systemd-free FOSS OS that meets
our needs, and personally, I'd now prefer my systemd-free FOSS OS to
*not* be Debian, because of the trust issue. I might not be alone.

And maybe the name "modular-debian" is an excellent name after all,
because it reminds us of where we've come from.

I like that how there's nobody screaming "off topic" and censoring people. It reminds me of usenet daze.

What I like to keep in mind about Debian is that there is a silent majority of DD's who have not yet had their say, and also that Debian is 99.9999% users (approximately) and in spite of all the "do-ocracy" talk, which is new to my ears, most "doers" are the users who run testing, file bug reports, recommended it to their friends, deploy it at work and do the lion's share of putting Debian on Netcraft.

The propaganda seems to promote a role inversion of maintainers, to cause them to rationalize the concept that being custodians of public software gives them the power and right to subvert the freedom and choice of users. Debian is a piece of public infrastructure handed down idealists who believed in freedom and choice. They paid a high personal cost for software freedom, and they did not do it just to see it all benefit corporations and Wall Street at the expense of users.

It's a hard choice to make when to jump off a sinking ship, and although I joke about it, I don't take it lightly or make the decision for anyone else. Everyone will make their own choice, but my thinking is that it's premature to say where this will all go. I see this as more like the opening move, than the endgame. I want to see how the DD's weigh in, and then see how Jessie holds up. I also want to explore my options and prepare the lifeboat if I need one, and I don't see how any of these topics are outside the scope of this list.